Has anyone overcome anxiety?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just wondering if any overcame anxiety and panic attacks? Any books, vitamins, anything? Thankz

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I woudnt if said I've overcame it but does get better had my firsts panic attacks in April this year and ever since then had shortness of breath everyday heart palpitations near enough every physical symptom under the sun I suppose it's just learning to deal with it and recognising it🙂

• Posted

I have had anxiety and panic attacks. Been with a therapist that help. Tried Zoloft which I feel it just made it worse. I stop it 2 years ago on my own. I was only on it for 6month 50mg. I want to tried meditation which I read is good.
    • Posted

Same here there awful do you have any physical symptoms daily? Yeah I do mindfullness meditation 3 times a day either ten or twenty minutes it helps.Im currently on mitrazpine was in a high dose of propranolol but took me off it.
    • Posted

Best wishes to you! We are stronger then the drugs☺
  • Posted

There are books for Relaxation Techniques, Mindfulness that deals with Relaxation and there are various books on the subject. Sometimes you may be able to perform Breathing Exersises again they can be found on the internet, generally they are also used for giving birth although the same system applies.

There are also a few sites you may find of interest, NHS CHOICES, hat may help

B.

• Posted

Hello,

Haven't overcome sadly but learnt how to cope really. I had a bad bout about 6 months ago, lost 3 stone and could barely leave the house through panic! Has about 2 months off work too.

I haven't had any joy with prescription meds at all. They seem to just create an array of side effects worse than the anxiety itself and of course with a hypersensitive body you feel every side effect!

Sometimes I feel I need something to take the edge off, whether it's placebo or not, it works for me. Passionflower supplements from Holland and Barrett work wonders for a calm mind. Currently trying stress relief tablets to. They actually work well for calming the inner shake feeling and I do feel more "normal". It's helped with the tiredness to. Camomile tea is amazing as well for calming yourself down.

Other supplements I take is 5HTP, this has been a godsend for countering the low mood and I have actually noticed my sleep has improved dramatically. No side effects yet either. I have probably noticed the biggest difference taking this especially as I was diagnosed with mild depression as well as generalised anxiety.

I have tried propranolol (beta blockers), buspar, amitriptyline and fluoxetine. All had horrendous side effects sadly.

I know I need to try Sertraline but holding off for now.

The biggest thing I have learnt is that no matter how rubbish you feel, try and get out the house and exercise just a bit if you can. It really helps calm the mind and de-stress. I know is difficult though, especially when anxiety is so high!

Other than that try and relax when you can. A hot bath, muscle soak to ease tension and read or draw. A bored mind causes havoc..

Hope any of this gibberish helps.

• Posted

Thank you. I have done some exercise and felt good. But started being lazy again.
  • Posted

There must be someone out there Judi89 😆 don't give it up hope. The Blurt Foundation & Mind charities offer excellent advice & coping tratagies to.

My anxiety has got so much easier to manage....Its a case of finding the correct medication for you individually.

Good luck

J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.