Has anyone transitioned from Methimazole to Bugleweed? How did you do it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

25 March 2016

Dear all,

Greetings from Bangkok. Not native to Thailand. Temporarily resident. Will try to be polite about my foster country but will likely falter every now and then. 

My knowledge has jumped in a few days since joining this Forum and through one member in particular linda187 who has been just superb, kind, patient at explaining her protocol with regular carnitine then l-acetyl carnitine. I was praying for an enlightened endocrinologist to materialise but none has so far. Instead I got linda187 which is better than I could have imagined. She's a gift. I hugely resonated with her message about self-empowerment and being proactive.

I've been on Methimazole 15 mg/day since 6 February 2016. Dosage upped to 20 mg/day since 16 March 2016. Feeling some side effects: Alarming hair loss, muscle weakness (legs, arms, hands), blurry vision, never feeling rested, some insomnia, worsening memory.

If I had met Linda last week I may have gone with l-acetyl arnitine before the herbals. I'm going to start on the Bugleweed, Motherwort, Melissa and Hawthorn. After reading what Linda wrote cautioning against combining l-acetyl carnitine with Bugleweed, I will take that advice.

I'm seeing a new Endo today to request for more comprehensive tests: TSI, TSII and TgAb. Thyroperoxidase antibody (anti-TPO), TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 were the extent of thyroid tests that a private lab I went did.

Will post my labs after.

Since it's unlikely that the new Endo will be open to discussing herbals, I have to guess my way through this. Not sure how to wean off the Methimazole and how quickly. I hope to get tested every 4 weeks.

Please share your experience.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• Posted

We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up