Has Anyone Tried Crossed Monovision?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Crossed monovision is when the non dominant eye is corrected for monofocal distance, and the dominant eye is corrected to mini-monovision. My surgeon is suggesting I consider it when I get to the point my second cataract surgery is necessary. On a search I have found some reports on a study of 60 people which found it to be as effective as standard monovision. One report is titled:

Crossed monovision may be as effective as conventional monovision

I am curious how popular it really is, and what personal experiences may be?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think result depends on individual capability to adapt.

In my own case, my left eye have been the best eye first 45 years of my life, and therefore always been dominant eye.

I had edof put in that eye, because it was dominant.

In the nondominant eye i had trifocal put in.

3 weeks after surgery i did the eye-domination test, and the trifocal eye had become the dominant eye, and still is.

So, it seems like an eye can be dominant for 45 years, and then turn into nondominant eye in 3 weeks.

• Posted

Yes, if that is the way it works, that would be great. I would prefer to have a dominant right eye as I am right handed and that is my shooting eye. I would also prefer that eye has the very best distance vision.

• Posted

Danish I experienced same thing. Prior to surgery I was left eye dominant and now I am RE dominant. Brain largely selects the best view.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.