Has my graves disease come back

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've now been off carbizamole nearly a year as levels were all in range last seen encroligist in August where he was happy even though I said I was suffering from awfull anxiety since then I'm now back on antidepressants and still struggling last bloods in December were in range though antibodies had risen a bit I really feel that it's raised its ugly head seeing him in April I've relapsed 3 times in 7years any advice would be appreciated

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brenda80266, anxiety and nervousness are subjective by definition. In my case I found the resting heart rate to be a more reliable indicator of my thyroid levels. If you keep a record then you will find that as you get more hyperthyroid your heart rate goes up. 

This is my first time relapsing. I was off Carbimazole for more than a year. I would like to ask a question. Of the seven times, how many times would you say your Graves' relapses occurred during the Winter season or during early Spring?

• Posted

Hi  it’s only been 3 times in 7 years to be honest I’m not sure I would think it’s more spring time I think how do you measure heart rate do you just check pulse hope you are doing ok it’s a battle 
    • Posted

I was first diagnosed in March and relapsed in January. I read that a lack of sunshine and Vit D can play a role during the onset of Graves'. (Effect of Vitamin D3 on Untreated Graves’ Disease with Vitamin D Deficiency, 2014)

Regarding the heart rate its best to sit or lie and relax for a while and then count your pulse beats during one minute. If you record the bpm every day for a few weeks and plot the graph then you will see some small fluctuations and an overall trend.

• Posted

I meant to say: I was diagnosed in March 2015 and relapsed in Jan 2018.
  • Posted

Hi Brenda and Dan, It's always encouraging to me to hear people have gone into remission for at least 2, 3 or more years... though relapse might still come back. AW, it would be interesting (and serious) to know from you that during the remission period, did you notice the autoantibody level was in the range or out? If it was in the range during remission, did it change to be out when the relapse occurred?  Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Posted

Yeh it was fine during remission encro told me once you antibodies start rising it means Graves’ disease is back I’ll always have Graves  so if I feel rotten I have bloods taken at Gp that’s how I’ve found I’ve relapsed 3 times in 7 years it’s hard to know what’s right x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.