Have been depressed and and anxious for about a month

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been depressed  for awhile and have been put on citaloprom  20m but it was not working too well and doctor has upped them to 30m but I have all the symptoms  again now I have started  to take them. could not go to sleep last night and feel terrible depressed today,I am 80yrs and wonder if this dose is too high.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi,

Having side effects again when a dose is increased, and sleep disturbances are a common side effect. They should settle down again, the dose should be fine, the maximum daily dose is 40mg so the dose you are on is slightly reduced.

Best wishes 

J

• Posted

sorry misread this a bit, are you having side effects? if it is the depressive symptoms that are the problem see your Dr, you may need to consider somekind of talking therapy on top of the medication.

J

• Posted

Thank you for your reply it does make one feel better if you can ask these questions.
  • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear thst. I would make an appointment with your doctor today and tell him/her what your symptoms are. That's no way to live. I really hope you get to feeling better. Try to occupy your mind to fight the deppresion. Word puzzles, read a book. I have been there and I know how it feels. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Good Afternoon Muriel,

When we first start to take Cita there will be unfortunately, for an unspecified amount of time, a period when you will get some side effects. Each time you increase you can get more or the one you had can possibly come back.

However, in your case (and this has nothing to do with your wonderful age) you had them at 20mg and then the Doctor upped them to 30mg when your body and mind had probably not adjusted to the 20mg! Therefore, may suffer a little longer I think. I had problems whith sleeping due to dreams and other things in the early days and someone suggested I switched from taking this sticking plaster for the brain from daytime to bedtime. It did the trick and ever since Cita works while I rest! 

We may not be able to make the problems go away immediately, but we can help lessen them while your here and hopefully get you back on track! And we have a pretty good track record. Keep in touch with your Doctor though so, she/he is kept up to date with you and how you are.

There will be others along with more and better advice I am sure (Mondays are not good for anyone (even us that have retired or semi retired), too many years of that Monday Morning feeling I'm afraid!

In the meantime try and relax and not to worry about your situation at the moment as, well, it doesn't help you. If your not going out and about, then what about some feel good TV (no war, horror or negative wise) films, a nature documentary or listen to some of your favourite, but uplifting, music. That really does help.

Keep posting, whatever the question, keep reading the posts, but don't over think or worry about them. Especially other peoples problems, if it does not relate to yours, unless, you feel you can help them of course! Bit of self help therapy, helping others!

I hope the sun is out where you are!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Thank you so much david, it does help knowing your not on your own.
  • Posted

Hello Muriel, 

I’m sorry you are having some more of the side effects again.  Yes, that is most likely what is happening.  It does seem to be a pretty normal thing. I have been on 20 mg Cital for a little over 3 years now, and have done well so far. When they up the dose, some but not all people do get a few side effects again for a while, kind of like in the beginning.  It should ease up soon.  I know it is hard to go through again, but if you can try to keep your mind occupied with doing something you enjoy.  Maybe reading a good book, listen to some of your favorite music, that always uplifts my spirits!  If you go to church, contact them.  Not sure how active you are, but my own Mom is still very active at 83 even though her health is not so great at the moment.  Sometime it helps to do some hospital visits, and bring some joy to others, or if you can not get out, others can come to you, and bring you some joy! 

That is what we are all here for...to help each other!  Including this forum!  I would give your doctor a call, see what they have to say about the increased depression at the moment.  There are a lot of wonderful people on this forum to help us through the rough times, with great advice!  So, keep posting and keep reading, it sure does help!  I know it has helped me!  There is no judgment here, and we have all pretty much been through the same, or similar things, so we understand what each other have been, or are going through.  I wish you good luck!!  You will get through this!  God Bless You Muriel!  Sending you Hugs!!  XO

p.s. David is a good one to listen to...and he has a good sense of humor!  smile  I like reading his posts, he makes sense, and he makes me smile!  He may not know it, but his posts have helped me a lot!

• Posted

Thank you for your message, I am lucky that I have a wonderful husband that makes me go out and meet people even if I do not want to, it's very hard at times and scary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.