Have been prescribed Citalopram 10mg - am uncertain

Posted , 3 users are following.

whether to start and my GP suggested I look at this webstie - having read the posts on the forum it seems there are horrible side effects both when starting and stopping which leaves me feeling terrified and not sure I want to start - any advice please?  My feeling at the moment is to ask my GP for alternate treatments for my depression/anxety such as counselling - any opinions ?  Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I've been on citalopram for 6 months now and still struggling my advice would be try without it first unless you get despite some people do really well on this med and some struggle everyone's different but you won't know till you try it it's trail and error
    • Posted

Thanks for your response Don - think I will try other methods without it - I can only see myself haing more anxiety about the side effects that would tip me even more over the edge......    will speak to my GP
  • Posted

It depends how badly your depression and anxiety are affecting your life. Personally I got to the end of my tether and despite counselling, self help methods, hypnotherapy, reflexology etc etc I was still suffering badly and was finding it harder and harder to cope. I wasn't eating or drinking or sleeping and spent all day and most of the night in severe distress. I had reached the end of the line in trying to do it myself, I needed help. 

I have been on citalopram 10mg (very low dose) for 2 months now and yes, the side effects were horrid to start with but no worse than I'd already been experiencing and I knew that eventually the tablets would help so I carried on taking them every morning even when I felt like giving up. 

They are are not an overnight fix, but what they enabled me to do was to concentrate better on my CBT techniques and other self help methods which I hadn't been able to do properly due to being in a constant state of crippling anxiety. I am still battling through, I still have bad days when I can barely drag myself out of bed but it isn't constant like it was before, I do get some breaks and I'm hoping that eventually I will be able to live a life of reasonable normality. I am a way off that yet, but I'm determined to get better. 

If if you feel that you are managing your depression and anxiety well and it does not impinge too much on your daily life then yes, I would say give the other methods a go first. But if you are struggling badly then personally it's a no-brainer - take the citalopram (perhaps start on a low dose) and use it alongside counselling and other self help methods. This has been proven to be the best treatment for depression and anxiety related conditions. 

I would also also recommend a forum called No More Panic which has been fantastic for me and has made me realise just how many others are out there suffering from these debilitating and frightening illnesses. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. 

• Posted

Thanks for this Gillian - has given me things to consider - have yet to look for the NO More Panic forum - will do so now.  I just think that the notion of side effects in addition to what I'm already experiencing would be too much. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.