Have docs got it wrong

Posted , 4 users are following.

In June I found a small lump that moves around in my right breast . I went the doctors following day and had it checked out and the doctor said sge thought it was a dropped milk duct . She referred me for a scan . While waiting for an appointment I went back to the doctors 4 times just to reassure me . I saw a professor at my hospital who said it was nothing tp worry about and then I had a scan afew weeks later and was told it was a prominent milk duct thats all . But im still worried incase all of them are wrong 

I do get painful bresta anyway but my aniexty is geting to much for me and I feel that I cant live my life properly because it dragging me down . Im forever feeling and poking myself looking for the what ifs 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear Louise,

You have had a first option with 4 repeats. You have had a second opinion and that was checked and confirmed following a scan. The second opinion confirmed the first. That really ends the matter. You do have a drpped milk duct. 

If your own opinion is so superior to the GP's and the Professor's, why did you waste their time by consulting them? That is surely very wrong of you. Besides, there are no guarentees in this uncertain world. Of course cancer is very unpleasant indeed. Should you ever contract a cancer, and I hope you do not, it will indeed be very frightening. At that point you will agree to appropriate treatment and the get on with life. Of course your world will be turned upside down as I found mine was this past  Summer. But that is soon enough to restructure your life. Why loose present healthy life to nothing more than fear? George

• Posted

I realy dont know wat to make of your comment .I certainly dont think I wasted there time . My dad died very sudden 3 years ago  5 days after being diagnosed with cancer so thats why im like this 
    • Posted

I can understand the emotional driver. You take that to be the dominant driver. I see that the double professional opinion should be the dominant driver even though it left you feeling distinctly uneasy.

I say that knowing that I have suffered three medical disasters. But I have also had treatment that saved my life. My wife has also had treatment that saved her life. I feel that if I push for a second opinion and that second opinion agrees with the first I am bound to accept the result as established until I have evidence to the contrary. My feelings do not come into it. I still feel that I need to be very cautious

• Posted

In the summer I had the same thing happen and after many biopsies, mammograms, scans & an MRI, a lot of waiting for results, they said they'd found a very small cancer, but because it was so small they had to question if it could've been cross contamination!! I had an operation to remove the lump & nothing else was found, so the drs are happy with this, but have referred me to another hospital to see if anything else needs to be done. Unfortunately this has left me in a complete mess & all I think about is that I have cancer everywhere & they've missed something.  I've had so many aches & pains since I've convinced myself it's spread.  I'm now taking setraline & having cbt, but still struggling.  I'm not really sure what to say to you as I don't have any answers as I'm still trying to deal with health anxiety, but just wanted you to know you're not alone.

Jayne x

• Posted

Thank you jayne for relpying to me . Ive had many doctors saying the same thing and I should not worry but ive had enough to cope with the last 3 years . Im 34 with 3 gorgeous kids my youngest is only 9 mths . Im shattered lack of sleepand with this on my mond constantly its realy geting to me 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.