Have esophagitis and LPR - after some advice please

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've recently been diagnosed with both esophagitis (grade 1) and LPR (Silent Reflux).

I was on Omprazole (PPI) for a month before diagnosis - think made symptoms worse. Then back on for 3 days but reflux even worse and so nauseous, stopped taking it. Not getting any heartburn.

My concern is if I don't take Omprazole for the Oesphagitis, that could get worse, even though they appear to be of limited help for LPR.

Appreciate any thoughts?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not everyone who has acid refluxing feels the pain of heartburn. However, if you have oesophagitis, it was caused by acid refluxing whether or not you felt it.

That reflux continuing full column can breach the upper sphincter. This extra-oesophageal sphincter is what's known colloquially as LPR.

Omeprazole will reduce the acid to make the reflux less harmful but it probably won't reduce your reflux which is a mechanical action not mediated by chemicals.

You will need to follow the lifestyle advice.

See my reply to Maria 69451 here: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/how-many-of-you-have-had-the-ph-probe-study-and-were-the-results-worth-going-through-the-test--530766?page=0#2310297

• Posted

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Following all these, including low acid diet, for 6 weeks. I feel like things are a bit under control (also using Gaviscon Advance). Bit loathe to potentially making my LPR symptoms worse again with Omprazole, but conflicted that should take it for the Esophagitis. Wondering if the  oesphagus inflammation could heal through my lifestyle/diet changes/loosing weight (lost over 2 stone so far).
  • Posted

Hi Penny - I had also the same but my grading was a little worse - Had H/H and Heartburn for 6 + years on been on PPIs for this time too - been to hell and back but i'm 4 weeks after fundoplication and feel great!!

• Posted

Good luck on the fundoplication. Mine slipped and symptoms came back. Just pay attention and keep in touch with your doctor. I'm sorry I had it fine and now have to have the wrap removed and/or fixed. They won't know until they get in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.