Have to come off mirtazapine in less than a week!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm having horrible side effects off mirtazapine I've been on them a year I noticed they had stopped working at 7.5mg so I went cold turkey for 6 days it was horrendous don't do it! Anyways went back on 15mg then few days later doctor told me to up 30mg so I've been back on them for 2 weeks...I have severe anxiety and panic attacks, disorientated most of the day, crawling skin, suicidal thoughts, racing thoughts and no appetite but it does work for sleep....I haven't felt right for months! I've just come off the phone from doctor and said to come off them by this time next week! He said start taking 15mg for a few days then 7.5mg then no more after a week! I seem this is pretty fast considering I went cold turkey off just 7.5mg....I just want to feel like my normal self, I am beyond fed up 😡😢

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi pamela51740

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

Some people are able to come off Mirt cold turkey with no problems. However, your recent experience shows that you are very sensitive to massive reductions in Mirt. 

I had a similar experience when I went off Mirt. It took me bout 30 days to stabilize after going back on. I then tapered over a one year period. What was critical for my success was to get a compounded liquid Mirt that allowed me to do very small reductions. 

Many people have great success with a 10% reduction every month, or even better, a 5% every two weeks. I used a modified version of this taper approach. 

My  pdoc had never had a patient have problems getting off Mirt so I was his first. He did agree, though, that I was very sensitive and supported me along the way. It probably helped when I told him I was part of a forum on Facebook that all had similar experiences with getting off.

I am now Mirt free for about 10 months. It wasn't an easy journey, by any means, but I am slowly getting back to some normalcy. 

I have also had acupuncture and use various supplements that help my body with go through this withdrawal process. 

Most importantly, look for support during this process. Your brain may go through a rollercoaster ride during the coming months and it is so helpful to have the support of those who truly understand the journey and the fear that goes with it. 

I hope you are able to stabilize soon. Hugs to you. 

• Posted

I am coming off. Irtazapine and suffering original symptoms and controlling things with diazepam.

i am not on any other anti depts and wonder if that is why i am so bad.

i see you have used acupuncture to help and i am now going down this route if i can get there, going out is such a problem for me.

have you anything to help me with my appointments

• Posted

CBD oil can only be a help. It calms the anxiety down and also helps with sleep. 

The acupunctureist may also suggest herbs to help support your system. For me, acupuncturereally calmed my system down for a few days. Give it a try. 

• Posted

Forgive my ignorance, but i do not know much about CBD oil.   Is it freely available in uk? Should i mention it to acupuncturist?  Do you think it might help me lower the diazepam i use for anxiety, or would i have to be off that before trying it?

• Posted

Sirry to read of your suffering.  I have to say that I think your doctor is irresponsible to tell you to just STOP Mirt.  It was bad enough for your CNS upping & downing the dose, but I wonder if you might want to discuss staying on them & tapering more slowly.  If you just STOP now it is likely you will add insomnia to your symptoms.  

So you have been on 30 mg for 2 weeks?  Lots of folk on this forum have said increasing to 30 mg increases anxiety.  Ideally you need to be between 30 & 15 with an aim to stabilise/ I would not jump down to 15 now, certainly no lower than 22.5mg, preferably higher.  

Would it be possible to see a different doctor within the practice at all?  One who understands AD's a little better and will let you taper the way you choose?  Do you have a partner or friend who will visit the doctor with you to reinforce/support you?  My partner has visited the doc with me & it made my appointment favourable. 

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.