Have you folks worked with

Posted , 5 users are following.

Glucosamine over your years of knee OA?I have off and on but am more ON now, some experts say it takes a good 2+ months to get into the joints to work.....this is not just taking off and on.....staying on.

My friend and I are getting into this supplement more as her Younger knee is bothering her and mine is an older knee and want to keep walking...

A friend who is 93 and runs circles around me at 76, has taken glucosamine daily for years....and she walks all over town and I envy her so much for her ability to walk good. She's not without some pains believe me, but 93!!!!

There is vegetarian glucoscamine for those who don't want the shellfish based products.

As I've said my knee issue is so worse since hip replacememt complications: shorter leg and more issues like nerve damage and IT band damage....

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joy. I take glucosomine Chondroitin plus MSM which I get when in the USA on holiday. Having taken it for a number of years now I don't want to risk stopping in case  it is making a difference and my knees woukd be worse without it. But I still need new knees - maybe I wouldn't have lasted until now without it!  Gill x 

• Posted

"IT  band damage"... how does that happen?  and what are the symptoms?...

Didn't know  you could get vegetarian glucosamine... The shellfish one has always put me off!.. Thank you .

• Posted

Mary, what I've "learned" since this hip replacement.....anything can happen once you are open to the knives and surgery tools and docs hands etc.....

I didn't expect the IT band damage nor the Femoral nerve damage.....

IT band runs down outside of thigh (surgery side) and is TIGHT and enough pain....I've read runners get the IT band damage...but it can happen in surgery too I'm finding out.I've had 2 months of work on the IT band to work on loosening it up and it helped but it's still tight and numb too.

The Femoral nerve damage, good grief didn't plan on that either.... I had the Anterior hip replacement and supposedly they don't CUT the muscle but they did something else to cause this damage.....it may never repair...

• Posted

I've taken Glucosamine with chondroitin for about 10 years. Can't honestly say if it's made any difference. I too was afraid to stop in case I got worse but have stopped now since TKR and can honestly say my other knee and hip don't seem to be any worse. 
  • Posted

I took it for 6 months and tried everything from cheap to high priced and never saw any change that made it want me to stay on it but it worked pretty well for a friend of mine so I guess you don't really know till you try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.