Have you used melatonic for menopause related insomnia?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking a small amount of melatonin recently because I cant fall asleep, and wake up early. It seemed to work for now, but I noticed that I feel depressed the next day. Has anyone had any experience in this? I cant take any other sleeping pills.  I would appreciate your feedback.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I mean melatonin, of course.
  • Posted

I'd say, "take less".  There may be a smaller amount that will help you sleep, but not effect you in a negative way.

And I'm one of those, through experience with my Dad, that will through out the warning to stay away from OTC sleeping medication.  Studies have shown that regular use will increase the incidence of Alzheimer's disease by 3 fold.  My dad had Alzheimer's, and his doctor told me NOT to give him any of those products.  The one sleeping medication that is ok is TRAZADONE.  Which is a prescription.  But it doesn't carry the risk for ALZ.  It worked like a charm for my dad.   

• Posted

Everyone is different. I take Trazodone, it's a mild antidepressant/sleep aid and like gailannie said, it's only available by prescription. It has helped me, it's not one of those strong antidepressants where it makes you feel worse before you feel better. But again, everyone is different. I've had people say it(Trazodone)made them feel lile a zombie the next day, or they took it and slept 12 hours straight. I think it's about getting the right dosage.

• Posted

Well, I used to take a small dab of trazodone once in like 2 months back when I was not in peri. Unfortunately, 3  years ago I triad taking it again during a severe period of insomnia and it only gave me hallucinations, no sleep. I think that it is connected to problems with vertigo and inner ear. the hallucinations were swirls. I get vertigo and dizziness as a part of the peri-allergies package. I remember when i used to take it before it would give me problems with focusing my eyes and some grogginess, but I drank coffee and ate sweets, I had no taste for anything else, my appetite would get humongous the next day. Unfortunately now I am even afraid to take it out of fear of even more vertigo than I have now. I cant take sleeping pills either, I took them in the past and went throufgh bad withdrawal.

• Posted

Well, it seems Trazodone isnt for you. Maybe just sit down and have a heart to heart with your doctor? Surely something can be done to ease your symptoms. I hope you feel better soon.😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.