Have your fibroids shrunk with Esmya AND coil?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi again. I have another question for all of you lovely ladies. Before I started Esmya I had to come off norethisterone. Fearing a large withdrawal bleed and hoping to avoid another hospital admission, my consultant put the coil in a month before. My period was heavy but OK but unfortunately the coil came out.

This may be a good thing in that I've read you shouldn't have a coil in while on ESMYA as they both compete for receptor sites. Makes sense but when I mentioned this to my consultant he said that the coil deals only with the womb (preventing uterine lining building up) and ESMYA deals with everywhere else. He is the professional and I should trust his judgement but it contradicts what I've read in different sources. Just wondering what you think of this?

My issue is that he hadn't anticipated the coil coming out and he has said that I can either "wait and see" (what period will be like after Esmya) or he could put the coil back in as "belt and braces".

I just don't know what to do. I'm terrified of haemorrhaging again in that period after ESMYA and so the coil would help limit that. However I really want to give the ESMYA the best chance of working and I don't think that will happen with coil in situ. Unless, are there any ladies out there who have had fibroid shrinkage with Esmya and the coil in? If so, I would dearly love to hear from you.

And in general, if you don't mind sharing I would love to hear what people's experiences have been like with that period after first course ie. Heavier or lighter than usual, how many days after stopping ESMYA ...

Thank you again. Sorry for long post.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caz, my understanding from literature with Esmya and on internet confirms coil should be removed due to receptors competing as you stated. Consultants seem to be using Esmya much more now and for longer. Coil can be difficult to keep in with uterus full of fibroids.

As regards bleeding. I had none after the first month then once course stopped bleeding resumed as bad if not worse than before. Fibroids did shrink but once uterus removed i was told it was "sizeable".

Went for hysterectomy and for me right choice. Hope you get some answers.

• Posted

Thanks Jeannette. That's helpful. It's that period after Esmya I'm dreading. May just have to dose up with tranexamic acid. My understanding is that the uterine lining builds up while on Esmya so period will of course be heavier. I've asked for a scan at the end of Esmya to look at this and fibroid size rather than wait for my appointment which is a month later.

I fear a hysterectomy may be my eventual outcome. Have things been OK for you since the op?

• Posted

Yes thats right. The lining thickens over those months its not shed. Not everyone has same experience though. It was about one month after i finished tablets then i have to say it was horrendous. For me bleeding and severe pain i can tell you hysterectomy was a breeze. Not felt this well for years. Took only paracetamol for 4 days. Did lot of walking and although now hot flushes i'm 55 so had to start them sometime! Esmya made me sleep constantly so not a long term option.
    • Posted

Hi Caz I feel for you. I was on zolidax for 3 months to shrink mine and it worked but bad hot flushes they were severe. I have not had a coil or Esyma so I can't comment on that.

What I will say though is that Hysterectomy is not the only solution for Fibroids.there is a procedure called UFE uterine fibroid Embolisation. Gynocology won't tell you about it cos they don't perform it. An IR does which is radiology.

If you decide that a Hysterectomy is the best option for you then that is great as long as it's your choice not Gyncologist. Good luck and do lots of research x

L

• Posted

Thanks Patricia. It's good to hear that yours did shrink - which procedure did you have?

I have been offered UAE but for some reason it doesn't sit comfortably with me. I think it's the idea of having a half perfused organ as main blood supply is destroyed, plus it takes many months for fibroid to shrink and also the side effects post op seem quite challenging.

• Posted

Sorry, pressed reply by accident. You are right though, I need to do more research and weigh up the pros and cons of each option. I was hoping for a hysteroscopic resection but fibroid would need to shrink to less than 3 cm for that I think.

Just feels like an incredibly long journey and maybe I'm looking for a quicker resolution. Yet I know that hysterectomy is not without complications and I can't have a myomectomy as it goes right through uterine wall - part submucosal and part subserosal. It's a difficult journey isn't it? Thank you for your support - it really is appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.