haveing a total hysterectomy tuesday

Posted , 10 users are following.

iam due to go in on tuesday 5/05/15 for a total abdominal hysterectomy i really want to back out.i have an ovaien cyst size of a 35 week pregance.iam over weight also have gallstones panic attacks ibs and fybromialge.im frighten that im going to die or somthink silly hate being away from home.worried somethink will go wrong.im 39 none smoker dnt drink.fairly fit just over weight 18stone.help please

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

thank you nikki for your kind words worth asking what different pain releff i can have xxx i will keep you updated
  • Posted

Hi Sally, I also suffer with panic attacks (horrid aren't they?), I also have Agoraphobia and usually don't go more than 3 miles from my home, I live in a smallish village so it's my safe place, I was in your situation last September, I almost bled to death (not exagerating) refused a blood transfusion as it would have meant going to a huge hospital near me (no thanks) so was almost bedridden for 4 or so weeks as I was so weak, was on a mountain of iron pills, my GP said I needed a hysterectomy and to cut a long story short I was booked in for the 15th December last year, I also wanted to back out but as I had a cancer diagnosis as well I had 2 choices really.........die or get to the hospital and have the op and believe me the first option was tempting for a while but I decided on the latter and was so scared, not for the same reasons as you, I was scared to go out of my comfort zone and that was (to me) scarier than the cancer, but as soon as I got to the hospital I resigned myself to the fact that it had to be done and my nerves all but disappeared and thank goodness I did it, I feel so much better after the op, my panic attacks came back 2 days after the op but at least I had overcome that giant hurdle, You can do this Sally, you dodn't want to keep that horrible cyst it will probably get larger and it could even turn into something worse, do what I did, go to a happy place in your head, mine was a Desert Island and imagine you are somewhere else.

Lots and lots of luck.

Phoebe. x

Below is my Desert island, you are welcome to borrow it for as long as you need x

• Posted

thank you phoebe i also hate leaveing my home i panic when i go on holiday i feel safe and well at home i know this as got to come out but i dread everythk i hate takeing medication,i hate being away from my husband you name it is me lol.but i have got to try and get this opp done.xxx
    • Posted

We are all here for you and wishing you well, we will all be thinking of you on Tuesday.

Phoebe x

P.S. I use Bach flower rescue remedy when I am really stressed, whether it really works or I just think it does I don't know but it helps me, it may help you too, I used a spray or 2 before going in on the day, my pre op nurse said it was ok.

• Posted

Hi. I'm going in on 6th and just turned 40 so we just the same. I'm having everything taken inc ovaries so have to tackle hrt afterwards too. Its the scariest thing in the world beforehand but just remember no consultant would be operating if there wasn't a need. I have got large ovarian cysts and frozen pelvis. Well it was frozen til I had last op but I'm hoping its not as bad to make it easier for removal. That's why I had to have ops in stages. I'm no slimming champion either but don't smoke or drink so fairly healthy apart from my weight. You really Dont know anything about it til its done and I had no hallucinations. I really wish you the best. Think of your health, will it be better to have it gone for you? X
    • Posted

snap im haveing it all removed and hrt everythk is a worrie surgery pain medication after efforts and hrt its a rollercoster of emotions good luck with your opp this site has been really helpfull xxxx
  • Posted

I will be thinking of you tomorrow Sally.

Take care.

Phoebe x

• Posted

thanks phoebewhite i havent slept all night iam so frighten so many things aere going round in my head im worried il die and oher silly things why iam i so frighten other people just put there trust in the docters and stay posative i cant im so negative.wish i could run away and not have to deal with this.

sally xx

• Posted

What you have just said, is how I felt, my hubby was listening to me saying repeatedly 'I'm not going tomorrow!' 'I don't want to go'! You just have to grit your teeth I'm afraid, I had to drive myself to the hospital as I have to be in control of what happens to me (as much as I can anyways), my son followed with his dad and then drove my car home, when I got to the hospital instead of being so worried about the op I was more worried about having to be driven home afterwards, daft I know! Try to think to yourself 'I can get through this, by Wednesday it will all be over', I went in on a Monday and kept saying by Tuesday it will all be done with and I can get on with my life, albeit mostly in my own home. They won't let you suffer pain Sally they will give you good pain relief so try not to worry about that, I had a total vaginal hyst and BSO (everything taken), it's the best thing that could have happened otherwise I wouldn't be here now.

Take care of yourself and let us know how you get on when you get back home.

Phoebe xx

• Posted

Phoebe you are so like me i like to be in control of everythink i follow after my mum who has suffered all her life.i was her carer growing up i did all the shopping and banking ect was hard and now i have the same but learnt some how to control it but at times like this i cant the panic just takes over.i just keep crying saying im.not going i know deep down its got to come out but wish i was not so fat and keep.thinking if i cancel it maybe il feel better about it next time its booked.or will i just panic again.

thank you for listening

love sally xxx

• Posted

I also worrie about takeing any drugs i think all.the time iam.going to have a reaction to them or il see spiders on the walls ect so will worrie about what drugs they give me for the pain.
    • Posted

I was 17 stone when I went in Sally, when I had my 6 week check I told my consultant that I would lose weight before I saw him again in July ( I have to have checks every 6 months for 3 years because of the cancer diagnosis) I have lost almost a stone and am still losing, I am on the 5:2 diet and it is great, I don't get hungry at all. biggrin x
    • Posted

Tell the anaesthetist your fears when he/she comes on the ward to see you.
    • Posted

Good luck for tomorrow.PLEASE DO NOT BACK OUT. It really isn't that bad and i haven't regretted having it done.The worst part is the wind and the constipation.As for the

medication they give you in hospital i had morhine which

was by pump so i controlled that by pushing a button and

i hardly used it and it was

disconnected the next

morning.I had some codine

which again i soon stopped

as i wasn't in too much

pain.Then it was

ibuprofen,paracetomel,one

for the stomach lining and

dulcoease.I was refusing some painkillers as i didn't want to take them for the sake of it.I would say after the op try and get up as much as possible for a stretch or a short walk.I did and i am sure this helped me a lot.I hope you have had chance to read as many posts as possible as there are so many positive comments to help get everyone through and everyone is so supportive.No one has backed out yet so please don't let us all down.

All the best

Luv

Teresa

xxx

• Posted

Thanks teresa il try not to back out i was told that morphin can make u see spides and stuff that make me frighten i have a strong pain barrier.but of course i dnt want to be in bad pain.so i think im.going to ask what other medication i can have instead of morphin.thank you for the kind words xx
    • Posted

Thats really good that ypu have lost weight i was 19 and half before xmas but coz i been ill with gallstones ect ive lost i tho i was around 17 and half but they said i was just over 18 other day at hospital but to be honest id say the cyst is getting bigger.i can see where ive lost weight just got a big lump in belly looks like im pregant.thank you so much for all the adivce xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.