Haven't had appetite since gallbladder removal. Should I force feed myself?

Posted , 31 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removal March 8th of this year and didn't eat anything 3 days after. On the 4 day was able to get down a few crackers. That was for 3 days. Now 2 days later, nothing. ...

I do have juice and water during the day, but that's pretty much it. Anyone else has this loss of appetite issue? Thanks!

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, you may find your appetite will return in time but you really need to have some nourishment to help healing.

​See your doctor about this in case there is a medical reason for it and in the meantime, get some nutritional drinks in to keep you going - you can get those from a pharmacy. Or try soups or smoothies. Take small amounts little and often as your system may not handle larger amounts.

• Posted

Hi shai, I didn't eat for a couple of days after surgery. mine was removed on 1st March. It is difficult eating after surgery as I didn't feel like it so I ate small amounts throughout the day. I didn't feel like it but as I'd lost so much weight I didn't want to loose anymore.

Did the hospital give you any numbers when you left, as if they did I suggest phoning them and getting some advice as it can be an issue after surgery. If they didn't give you any numbers then go back to your surgeon or physician as they have the experience in that area rather than a gp. 

I remember the nurse did day to me that initially fluids were really important and I might not feel like eating. 

Let me know how you get on but I would phone up and check things out.

Take care x

• Posted

Actually was hungry today upon waking up (finally) and was able to eat something smile

• Posted

Hi shai, oh thats good. Just try eating small amounts and you'll get there. I'm still on small amounts after 2 weeks so it does take sometime or it has done for me anyway. I know that others recovery is really quick but we're all different. 

Small amounts of food and fluids and you should be ok but if you're unsure of anything then phone your doctor, I did after a week and felt better afterwards that everything I was going through is normal.

Let me know how your progressing. Take care x

• Posted

Thank you smile

And I agree, I was reading where people were leaving the hospital headed to their favorite restaurant and didn't have any issues eating anything.

Currently I'm trying to do trial/error. Thanks for your advice

• Posted

Hi Shai, yes thats what I'm doing but nothing fatty, spicy or rich at the moment just encase, I'll try these when I'm feeling upto it.

Take care x

• Posted

I didn’t have an appetite before the gallbladder removal seems worse now only had oatmeal carrots bananas nothing taste or sounds good it has been 10 Days post op and losing weight 
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 5 months ago & have now lost a total of 25 pounds. I have no appetite & food has no flavor. I am drinking smoothies with whey protein because my gp is concerned. My endoscopy came back negative for celiac, had gastritis but still have pain in stomach & they don't know why. Any one else have same problems. I did test positive for C-Diff & had colitis so that finally went away.

• Posted

i had mine removed in emergency surgery in June. Went in hospital weighing about 110, came out 88lbs now down to 83. I try to eat and can't. Drink 2 boost a day, but who can afford them. Everything I eat I have pain. Any suggestions on how long this last. I'm afraid I'll die from malnutrition .

• Posted

Took me weeks to get my appetite back. Still a

Year on and can't eat as much as I used to.

Can't eat cheese as it bloats me right up and I look

9 months pregnant. Give it time. I eat a lot slower now

as well. Good luck.

• Posted

I just had mine taking out march 17,17 and I haven't had an appetite either so I forced myself to eat soup like chicken and rice soup with saltine crackers all I can handle right now and lots of water and apple juice is really helpful to just nothing with high fat in it for at least a couple weeks they say

• Posted

Hi Heather, I had mine out on the 1st March so a little earlier than yourself and I still haven't gone back to the foods that I use to eat.

I suggest to anyone have frequent small meals and try to introduce other foods, I'm still having low fat foods as I don't feel as though I've recovered enough yet to try anything else. Just take it easy and don't push yourself too soon as I'm finding it takes alot longer than you think. 

For me personally I find scrambled eggs, turkey steaks, jacket potato and fish also go down ok but in really small amounts. 

Don't forget we're all different  in recovery from this operation so keep your fluids up first and foremost and if you're finding you have any additional pain or symptoms that weren't there before to go back to your doctor.

Let me know how you get on, take care x

• Posted

Reassured that someone else has similar issues, I feel nausea when I look at food comfort porridge yoghurt and friuts. Nursery food somtimes alive enough to tackle simply cooked fish steak or eggs plus vedge. Still got acute pain when i lie down at night do others have this. Demoralising and I do not want to get dependent on Tramadol.accounts of any similar issues appreciated plus painful stoppage then acute explosive disarrhoea a colonoscopy hase

• Posted

Hi, I'm still on cocodamol as I can't take tramadol which I've been on for ages but at this time I still need it as it does take longer to recover than I thought.

Yes keep food simple, its going to be a while before I enjoy the food that I use to eat before and going out for meals but then your body has to learn that it hasn't got a gallbladder.

From speaking to others yes, pain is worse at night and especially when we go to bed. For me its been 3 weeks and we have to remember it maybe keyhole surgery but it is major surgery so it'll take our bodies time to mend and healing on the inside takes alot longer in some than others.

It seems as though you're either consitipated or have diarrhoea which can be very draining but it will get better, I have to believe that but I'm not there yet.

Sometimes diary can cause problems so be careful, I've never eaten lots of diary except milk in drinks but it can be too rich for the body to digest so be careful.

If you're unsure of anything then keep posting on here and someone will respond to you.

I think that being on here has helped me no end that I can talk to people that are in the same situation and understand so continue writing either to me or set up your own discussion witheverything you've been going through.

Take care x

• Posted

Hi Shai, so happy to find this site! I had my surgery on the same day as you and am just as miserable as I was before I had my surgery. I was thinking (unreasonably) that I would go back to normal after surgery. My doctor said right after I would be able to go back to eating, no way!!!!! I was on a liquid diet for 3 weeks before my surgery and the day after my doctor called to check on me and asked if I was doing ok, I said yes just in a little pain, he said take pain meds and I said I was afraid to because I had nothing on my stomach and the pain pills make me sick to my stomach so I finally got down a piece of toast. Since then my stomach hurts all the time. I still can't eat. Have been eating soups and oatmeal and toast. Some applesauce and water. That is about it. I have constipation and then the runs. My doctor said a month for recoup time but the way they talked prior to my procedure they made it sound like I would be back to normal but it hasn't happened. Some days are worse than others. 

• Posted

Hi Lisa, sorry to hear you're like this. I'm 3 weeks post op and I'm still finding it difficult so don't feel as though you're alone. There's alot of us on here that thought we'd be so much better after surgery but from our understanding now it takes alot longer than we first thought.

All I can say is eat small amounts of plain, simple, low fat food. Don't forget your body is trying to adjust to life without a gallbladder which takes some of us alot longer than others. 

I would say if your symptoms continue  and don't improve then see your doctor or if you get increased pain then you must go and see someone. 

I've found this site a lifeline, so keep updating us with how you're getting on and someone will respond to you. There are some like myself that are just a bit further forward and others on this site that have got through the otherside and use what they've learnt to help others. 

Take care and keep writing x

• Posted

Hi Katherine, I know it’s been 2 years since you posted on here. Just wanted to check how you are today and how long it took you to recover. Sorry to hear what you went through and I hope you are doing well. I’m 7 weeks post op and have been really nauseous and sick. It’s been awful. Just wanting to see if others recovered. Please send an update. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.