Having a bad moment on sertaline after feeling great

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys me again... been on sertaline since July started on 25, 50 and now almost 4 weeks on 75mgs. I was feeling so good last week that I posted some really positive posts.

Yesterday I started back at work and with it being the first day back I was stressed.. you know what it's like after being off.

Anyway today I woke up with the sense of dread and the high anxiety. I look at my kids and think I can't look after them and have some really dark thoughts about this med not working and going back to the days before sertaline. Being sectioned has even crossed my mind and I know that is irrational.. but you know what it's like when we go to that dark place.

Surely the meds should be working. I have only been on 75 for 4 weeks... Should I accept it will take longer and not take into account that I started the meds in July.

I am seeing my doc on Monday but honestly the ups and downs are driving me nuts..

I have had anxiety and panic disorder for 28 years.. since my first child was born so I guess i won't be cured over night..

Please send me some positive replies

Lots of love

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jay. I was on an SSRI for about 12 years. It completely changed my life and like you, I noticed the difference very quickly. I just wanted to say that even though I was generally better, my anxiety still wasn't gone and some days I was quite bad. It never felt like it reached the heights it does now that I am no longer on meds, I must admit...but it could still be pretty bad.

I just wanted to offer you some relief from your worries. It doesn't mean that they are not working... It's just a bad day X I hope this helps

• Posted

Thanks silly mop. I am feeling a little better but it's so good to chat on here with people who understand.

It's a long journey but I guess I just need to be patient and try not to let the fears scare me.

Thankyou xx

• Posted

Hi Jay,

don't worry honey

My first 3 months on sertraline ( 50mg) were a roller coaster of emotions

My anxiety and panic fluctuated between worse and better

Everyone's rate of absorption differs. I hung in there because something was better than nothing and I felt desperate for help. And I'm glad I did. I take mine first thing in the morning and I'm doing fine now

It took a good 6 months for me to reap the benefits

Hang in there. Things can only get better

Going back to work has stressed you out. Perfectly normal. You can and will cope. Dismiss negative thoughts of not being able to look after your children. When needs must we rise to the occasion. Please believe that

Sectioned? Won't happen. Those with AD have more courage than those without could ever dream of! They carry on, despite the symptoms, they do not cave in despite it's awfullness

We are the AD Warriors and don't you ever forget it!

You'll be okay and so will your family

• Posted

Thanks Helen. As always you have such words of comfort.

I have to keep reminding myself I'm getting better and not worse.. my goodness the days before sertaline I was merely existing and not living. Now I do see a light but it's not near enough to grasp yet.

We are strong people I guess as we have a daily battle but I know with the support of this forum and a little self belief that I will conquer this.. that is enough

Thanks Helen

• Posted

So true, Helen... We do have great courage and often don't give ourselves the credit for this. Well said X

• Posted

Hey Jay,

one of the most important things , when our confidence wavers, when the worry worm wiggles around in our head, when we need reassurance, is to reach out to the Forum friends

It is they who know, who understand and who will support you at such times.

The other thing is patience.

We see a glimmer of improvement and then we add a measure of anxiety by wishing for huge leaps forward

Every day is a healing day. Baby steps. Some days might appear to be two steps forward, one step backwards. The important thing is not to focus upon that solitary backwards step. Focus instead upon the fact that slowly but surely we are going the right way

It's a hard slog, Jay, but quiet determination, positive outlook and calm acceptance of taking each day as it comes, is the path to healing

Best wishes

Helen

• Posted

Dear Jay try not to worry too much.

We all worry over our children, job, ability to cope etc.

• Posted

Aww, I'm sorry to hear you're feeling those nasty ups and downs. It's very likely caused by your return to work. You know, it's really not easy to have a family and responsibilities. But you will pull through all of this, you know. Even if you don't know it, trust me instead! (: Give the meds longer to work, give yourself permission to have some bad days, and remember above all else not to feel defeated.

Peace xxx

• Posted

Thanks Nick. X I am lucky that I do work from home but that has its challenges. I do sometimes thing there is no escape as if I worked in bricks and mortar then I wouldnt have distractions of house work and kids so it is a added pressuRe. But again there is a silver lining as I don't think I could cope working around others, having to take public transport to work and leave my kids with childminders so I guess I am fortunate.

I need to look at the pluses in my life which I don't. I have a great job,earn good money, have a lovely home which is starting to get building work done on the 14th Nov to extend it. I have money in the bank so I should be such a worry wart.

Love to all and thanks for caring and sharing. X

• Posted

Don't put yourself down. It's good to think of the positives, especially when we feel low.. But don't put yourself down for feeling bad, in my experience it only leads to guilt and that's not easy sad everyone has their own battles and things that they find hard, everything is relative smile

• Posted

You are right hun. When we have a bad day we should just embrace and remember even people who don't have this have bad days and let's face it... we don't know what people actually are thinking. X At least we share our thoughts. Some don't

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.