Having a hard time.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Having a hard time... On week 3 of switching from celexa to prozac. I have bad head pressure, head pain, tingling in my head and face and sinus pain! So weird! Of course i think everything is wrong with me. 😔 Anyone have any experience switching meds?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sometimes it can be very difficult changiing meds and coming of one and going straight on to another isn't always good for people. I would suggest you contact your GP as it may be that prozac doesn't suit you and another form of medication can be found for you. Why did you have to switch in the first place?
    • Posted

The thing is i know prozac works for me becaue ive been on it before. I just called my dr and he's supposed to call me back. Im pretty sure it's a combinatuon of withdrawal from celexa and side effects from prozac. But just wondering if anyone else has been through this?
  • Posted

Hopefully your GP will call you back as soon as he can and he'll be able to go through your symptoms with you and tell you what to do. Withdrawal from drugs should be graduated and not sudden. Maybe the process was too quick for you and that it why you are having the side effects you are.
  • Posted

I have exactly the same symptoms while being on Citalopram. Been on it for 5months. I'm going to switch too as it's doing nothing for me 😔 why are you switching if you don't mind me asking
    • Posted

Hi kirsty!

Im swithing because celexa made my anxiety worse and made me have internal shakes. Was on it for 3 months. Prozac worked for me before so im hoping!!!

• Posted

Good luck. Let us know how you get on. I'm coming off citalopram. I don't have any withdrawal symptoms which is strange.
    • Posted

Thank you!! Be thankful! Withdrawal is awful. 😔 hopefully you dont get any!
  • Posted

Hey girl,

Hang in thier! Celexa's withdrawl can be harsh. Remember, everyone is different and metabolizes differently. I worked in a mental health hospital in the pharmacy department for 5 1/2 years keeping up with current meds and study psychology.

Depending how long you have been on celexa and the dose you were on before you started to dose down can play a factor as well. You just may dosing down to quickly for your body and may need to readjust the doseage as you switch. I took this as well for anxiety and it was awful for me as in it made me depressed and for the 2 1/2 weeks I was on it, withdrawl was very similar and rough, but I had the luxury of dosing myself down the way I needed. So no need to be upset or scared, its normal. Some discomfort is expected but that sounds to fast for you and thats fine. Good Luck

• Posted

Thank you so much!!! I was on 20mg celexa for a little over 2 months. Then my doc just had me switch with no tapering to prozac. That was 2 1/2 weeks ago. So I'm guessing I need to give my body more time to get adjusted. It just isn't fun!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.