Having a really hard time is medication the way to go?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys, I've been feeling so down lately. A month ago I had severe abdominal pain and went to the ER and found out I have a kidney stone (tiny and stuck) and an ovarian cyst that ruptured. After that was over I noticed my collarbone is slightly more pronounced on one side. I asked my back doctor about it as I have scoliosis and she said it isn't s big deal but I can't even look at it or I get really nervous and freak out. Then about 3 weeks ago I felt like I was being choked and the feeling has been on and off since then. The 2 doctors I saw blame my allergies but then I started having heart palpitations and a heart skipping feeling (had it all before) and they told me it's probably just my panic disorder reemerging. I'm still struggling to breathe deep and every day a couple times I feel a shot of adrenaline go through my chest which scares me to death. Also, I get pains in my arm and leg right after. On top of it all I feel like there is so much trapped gas in my chest and stomach. I still have more doctors to see to make sure it isn't anything serious, but for now I'm just feeling really miserable and I keep thinking the worst case scenario is happening like I'm going to have a heart attack or I'll find out my heart is failing or I have cancer or something. I'm on vacation now and I feel horrible because I'm trying to be upbeat and happy for my family and bf since this vacation is for my college graduation, but it's so hard I broke down today. My anxiety is the worst it's ever been in having at least 2 attacks a day now. My question is if all this turns out to be just anxiety should I consider medication? I've done cbt before and that helped a lot but didn't totally get rid of physical symptoms. Any advice from those taking medication would be greatly appreciated. This site makes me feel so much better like I'm not totally alone

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety Producing Stimuli Anxiety is a cumulative condition believe me I have been there too! The more anxiety you experience in your daily life, the more your other anxiety symptoms get worse. That means that you should spending time with people that are reckless - anything that produces anxiety should be controlled, to avoid the anxiety from getting worse. Medication & talk therapy has helped me dramatically. I highly recommend it. It worth a try!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Spending time with people who are NOT reckle is what it should say.

Having trouble with this site.

Do see ur doc & give medication a try! You will have much better control over your moods and find ways to stay busy without the stressful constant companion to wear you out! Stress robs us of our joy and energy.

you will feel better in a few days once on meds. 

Sometimes our hormones do get out of wack. Cortisol is released in our system from stress and blocks all feelings of wellbeing. It's a normal hormone issue for many especially with all the busy lives we live today. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Mandie! No harm in trying meds, if that's what your Dr would advise. Almost 95% of anxiety sufferers here in our site are on meds...and they just keep trying and changing when they feel some side effects or something.

As for me, though i was prescribed a certain medicine to calm me down, i opted not to take it. I just always had them in my pouch just in case i couldn't bear the discomfort anymore. Lucky i was that not a single tablet was used until i threw them all. away. I am still having occasional attacks but they were not as bad as they used to.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks to everyone that replied. As an update I ent to the ER this morning for chest discomfort and racing heart. I was so scared but the ekg and xrays came back clear. Going to a cardiologist tomorrow to double check. So at least I can rule that out and focus on reflux or anxiety being a main cause of how I feel. And if it is anxiety I think I'll try the meds. It seems worth it at this point

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that was a ER CALL.I can understand how pain can mimic other issues that the heart.

for many years I was in the ER with severe pain chest and back could not breathe. No heart issue so I was given pain meds and sent home. 

It turned out to be gallstones which mimic heart attacks and panic attacks. 

Keep going to the dr until you find the answers. 

Hope your well soon .

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up