Having a Total Hysterectomy this Saturday

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I'm 36 and having a Total hysterectomy on Saturday. I'm terrified any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Tracy, take a support pillow it becomes your new best friend and stock up on everything. Lots of water to drink helps to relieve constipation and i bought anusol cream and suppositories they really helped with piles . Good luck for saturday and keep in touch xxx
  • Posted

Hi Tracy

Good luck Tracy for Saturday.  Take peppermint oil with you, it helps the dreaded wind pain.  Also my surgeon keeps telling me the calmer you are the better you heal after the op.  I hope he is right, because I am meditating like mad!  

Warmest Wishes

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Fingers crossed for you Jacqueline, and thanks I will ensure to get some peppermint Oil n try to chill out x
  • Posted

Hello. Had my op on 10th Feb. Just wanted to confirm the advice already given. The most important things for me after surgery were peppermint oil capsules and stool softeners. You WILL need these, wind and constipation hurt. You should also make sure you have a small pillow or a rolled up towel that you can press to your stomach when you have to cough, laugh, sneeze, go to the loo or get up or down.

Good luck

• Posted

I'm 4 weeks post TAH, there is not much I can add to what has already been said. The build up is by far the worst part of this whole thing. Once on the other side make sure you rest, rest, rest and take any offers of help. Mainly listen to your body not your mind! LOL Your mind will tell you there is nothing wrong and you can do this that and the other but when it has you fooled and you do it your body screams a big fat NO!!! At four weeks I'm still learning this one! Definately do not bend or lift, just this weekend I decided to bend in the shower to shave my own legs, easy eh? I thought so and at the time it was, I paid for it yesterday with pain and had so much discharge today I've had to visit the GP sad So really do make sure you don't overdo things xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.