having bad anxiety attack, any tips?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i know I've posted a few posts lately!, this seems to be never ending at the moment, The last couple of days have been ok, but here i am right now just sat watching television and just out of the blue, i have hurrendous chest pain, blurred vision, dizzyness and a heavy headache feeling. I feel scared and have the 'impending doom' feeling, the feeling something bad is about to happen ie death etc and that theres nothing i can do about it. I know death is a natural part of life, but i'm so scared by it and so hate that feeling of not being in control. i'm trying to tell myself this is just an attack but i'm so scared and upset its not sinking in.

1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

It's ok Kerry. I have been there a thousand times. Try not to control it. Try letting go. Nothing bad will happen to you. You will be OK. No-one has ever been harme by a panic attack. Write down what the symptoms are in your body. Notice what is happening in your body. Take no notice of the babble of thoughts. They don't matter. Focus on the body. You will be OK.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

thank you athol, i haven't thought of doing it that way before, it's very hard to know what to do as your mind is telling you things that make it difficult to control whats going on. thank you for replying
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Kerry. I have had AWFUL panics and what u are decribing over the years, I agree with athol - Dr Claire Weekes` books are excellent and explain exactlyy why you`re feeling as you do. Try writing your fears down and analysing them. I know its easier said than done. It took me YEARS. Im now 63 and started them at 16, I had CBT from psychologist which helped a lot
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi brummiebabe, thanks for your message, it's nice to know i'm not alone in what i am feeling, it gets so scary. i will definitely try the book. Writing things down may be good too then atleast i can refer back to how i felt before but know i got through it
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Kerry...it's when you get frightened of your symptoms that you add extra fear...so extra symptoms happen...your body is just trying to deal with all this fear and tension...strangely it's just trying to help you...! But I know it doesn't feel this way...try to face what's happening and accept it...and know its 'normal' for when you've become stressed, anxious and frightened....the 'symptoms' are unpleasant, but won't harm you badly...in time if you can relax and leg them 'happen' without being scared...they will stop....accept too, that you have these anxiety problems, but that they will go once you can do the above...it might be one step forward, two back, but you will get there eventually...read Dr Claire Weekes books...they are excellent and help to explain why you get the symptoms you describe...and also how to get well again...I have been through all of this many times...but I got well again...and you will too....sending a big hug....
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

thank you twilight, i will definitely try the book as you are not the only person to have mentioned this. You are right, i should try and just go with the symptoms and tell myself i will be ok perhaps it will cause less panic. thanks for your help
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Dear Kerry,

I'm so sorry that you're going through this.  I agree with the above replies in that the more you try to fight it, the worse it becomes.  If you let it happen, it will slowly disappate.  I use a product that has helped me.  It's called Back Rescue Remedy Spray.  A couple of squirts on my tongue brings me a little calmness--not a miracle, but definitely helps.  Also, I've recently discovered that I have Histamine Intolerance.  Many of your symptoms are symptoms of this disorder also (including panic attacks).  Please Google it and see if it fits you.  If so, many symptoms can be controlled by a Low-Histamine Diet.  All the best to you.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

thanks for your reply smile i honestly just get myself in such a mess and find it so hard to get out of. I have just googled about histamine intolerance, it's actually very interesting to know and i am going to try and change a few things in my diet to see if it helps. Thanks so much for your reply and suggestions.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up