having gallbladder removed. Please help with some awkward questions.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am having my gallbladder removed in a week and I am really nervous about being in hospital as it is my first ever operation.

The idea of pain doesn't bother me as such, I know that side of it will be well looked after by the hospital.

I just have a few things that are more logistical in nature that are causing me to get worried because its stuff thats not really mentioned in any of the paperwork.

1. For example, say I'm back in the room and its a couple of hours after surgery(I'm lucky enough to have a private room for overnight stay) and I need to pee. Will I just be able to get up by myself and do my business or will I need help from a nurse to walk?

2. The hospital has told me to bring comfortable clothes & fresh underwear to wear overnight. How will I go getting changed by myself? again am I going to need help?

3. I know I'm going to be on a low fat diet for a while. But does it actually hurt to eat the first couple of meals in hospital? or is it ok?

If anyone could help me with these specific questions it would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steve :. Are you having the larascopic surgery ? If so, don't worry about it. It is an easy procedure. I had my gallbladder taken out last year in February. It was day surgery. I went in to hospital early in the morning my surgery was booked for 7:45 am. They took me into operating room and put me under . The surgery took only an hour. When you go back up to your room , they will look after you. I woke up a couple of hours later after surgery . I was scared too when they were doing the surgery. When I woke up from surgery I was alert. They had me walk around for a little while to see if I was okay. You can get up yourself to use washroom. I was in and out of the hospital in 9 hours. Went home and tested there. I couldn't do anything for. 6 weeks though. Bring comfortable clothes because you won't be able to put anything on the incisions for awhile. And u will be able to eat anything. I was eating mushroom soup and had my usual coffee and Pepsi when I hit home. Everyone is different though. The one thing I will say is you will enjoy food again. Keep in touch and good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice

I am having the laparoscopic surgery but I am not scheduled until later in the day so they recommended that I stay the night just in case. Its all going on private health insurance anyway so no big deal to me, i'll just sleep and watch the movie channels in the room. 

How did you go with greasy food?

Im not planning on going to Mcdonalds anytime soon but have a few birthday lunches ect in a few weeks and I'm not the type to make a big deal of asking for special food or not eating anything at the table. 

• Posted

Hey Steve. Plan on a sticking to a low-fat diet. A week after my surgery I felt ok. Pain I hated the most. Thought I was ok but little did u know I was in for a bad surprise. I tried a small slice of pizza oh boy it was goood. After being sick for over a year I deserved it. Hey I'm ok I said. So the next week tried a burger. Boy I deserved that. After a few more weeks of this non-sense I woke up sick one morning thought I was going to die. There I go back to hospital. Sick again. Found out I was sick because of bad diet of fatts. Had a stone suck in bile duct. So be careful of your diet. Just want to let you know.

• Posted

Hi steve:. The larascopic is an easy surgery. The surgeon told me it's a common procedures. But you will feel okay. Over night, well that is good. I didn't eat greasey food for awhile. But when I did try it. It wasn't really greasy. I had a Donaire with poutine. It didn't hurt at all. About 6 months later I tried a big Mac and fries, in which I have not eaten in ten years. And it tasted so good. I missed food. Lol but becareful, food will taste really good and you might put on some weight. And watch the acidy foods and yes the greasey foods for awhile. But make sure for awhile when you eat, you are near a washroom until your body adjusts without the gallbladder. It will take time. The pains afterwards will subside. You will notice some cramping , but it's normal because it is just your organs returning back in place afterwards, cause they use a special gas to blow up your stomache. But you will be alright. Good luck.

• Posted

I didn’t feel like going for a pee til a good 8 hours or more after surgery. Think I have a massive bladder though haha. Made sure I was topped up with painkillers before attempting to make the short walk to the bathroom. Actually felt better moving about a bit as helps disperse the gas they use to inflate the stomach. I didn’t get the shoulder pain with gallbladder surgery (did with appendix surgery though). 

No you won’t need any help changing. Maybe best with jogging bottoms and a short sleeved baggy t shirt though. 

I didn’t really feel like eating for the first few days. Just had some soup and toast and pretty plain sandwiches. Tried some foods not long after surgery and ended up doubled up in pain with pretty bad diarrhoea. Yes that was McDonald’s food haha. Who cares if you order something which needs to be changed from the menu? There’s plenty people on diets or with allergies etc so they’re used to people asking for alternatives or things to be cooked slightly differently. 

Main thing I’d say is keep on top of the pain and walk around often the first few days for gas pains. Good luck for your surgery xx

• Posted

Thanks heaps for the advice.

The food was about having lunches at peoples houses, not restaurants. If i was eating out i would definately be happy to change up the order a bit.

• Posted

Hi there keep us all posted we will love to know how your getting on ! I have a stone removal coming up next week supposedly one stuck in my bile duct then a wait to get gall bladder removed all on the NHS so we all have to wait .anyway wishing you all the best 👌👍

• Posted

I just thought I would post an update here for anyone it may benefit.

I had surgery at 8am and was awake at 10.15am and eating lunch at 1pm.

Lunch was a ham/cheese & tomato sandwhich, some jelly and custard and an apple juice.

Im staying over tonight and dinner is chicken Cajun with potato and vegetables with black forest cake for desert and crackers and a small amount of cheese after that if i want and breakfast is eggs on toast with a bit of smoked salmon.

So as you can see the hospital has me eating very normal food. Just have to eat slow and not large portions at once.

The pain comes and go. The pain in my shoulders from the gas and nerve irritation is worst than the pain in my abdomen but the nurses are great at keeping me comfortable.

I have no nausea/vomiting or diarrhea yet but time will tell how i go.

I just wanted to write this to comfort anyone like myself who is super nervous. All will be good, just relax and youll be fine.

• Posted

Hi there so happy for you sounds like your either in America or in private health care in England with the food haha sounds great good luck so glad your feeling better keep us imformed of your progress 💐👌

• Posted

Thanks. Yea ill post up a progress report in a few days.

Your guess was sort of close, im in a private hospital in Australia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.