Having gallbladder removed soon and really scared

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am waiting for a date to have my gallbladder removed. Spoke to friends that has had this done and they seem fine and getting on with their lives but I'm really really scared because I keep reading about people that's had it done and they've had major problems after . Feeling worried.

1 like, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Lol lynne and Lynda above have both just said it in much more profound manner than I 

and have given you good advice in my opinion.

• Posted

Most people are absolutely fine after surgery. They have their lives back. The people who post here are mostly the unfortunate few who are left with issues- like me. I ended up with early stage gallbladder cancer (rare!!) and had to have further surgery. Some of them have other health issues which complicate the outcome of their gallbladder surgery. Others have the surgery and expect to be back to normal after a couple of days, which is extremely optimistic. Just be prepared for that. I personally know five people who’ve had this surgery with no lasting complications.

Also everyone is scared, even those who don’t appear to be. I think it’s partly due to placing yourself in the hands of others and having no control. (Like stepping off a bridge). I had open surgery and honestly never knew a thing from being anaesthetised to waking up on the ward hours later. Don’t even remember the operating theatre or being in recovery!! That’s how anaesthetic works: it blots out the memory. You will be fine.

• Posted

Try not to worry! Not everyone has problems after gallbladder surgery. 
  • Posted

I'm in the same boat.  I'm waiting for an appointment to have my gallbladder removed

and  though  I  know it  needs  doing  I'm scared too.  I  just  pray  I  feel  better  afterwards. 

Good luck and let me know how you get on. 

• Posted

Thank you Linda. I'm waking early in the morning and can't get back to sleep for worrying about it. I will write when I've had it done and let you know how I am doing.

• Posted

And you should be scared . 2 Years ago I removed mine . Now I’m worse than before . So sorry 
    • Posted

Well said!! You don’t want to end up really ill from not getting it out xx
    • Posted

Alabama, this is your decision.  It is one of those things that happens in life.  You do the best you can, make the best decisions you can, bearing in mind all the information you have, including the relationship you have with your doctor. What you should not do is let others' fear or bad experiences cloud your judgment. Everyone must deal (somehow) with their own heredity, and the way that their body reacts. Each person is different.    

• Posted

Hi priory.

what was your situation initially and what's your situation now if you don't mind sharing ide be very interested to know what you experience now and how your symptoms progressed to how you are now ?

many thanks.

• Posted

You are so wise Lynda!

The comment from prifry was unhelpful. People who have these post cholecystectomy issues are unlucky and in the minority. Even if you end up having these issues, it’s a small price to pay for getting rid of an organ that had the potential to get worse and put your life at risk. I’m glad Alabama realises this. X

• Posted

OMG even if you are worse  than ever That’s not a very kind thing to say! Trying to frighten the life out people
    • Posted

Thanks.  I think that some people just like to stir things up "let's hang 'im boys!" Provide the rope and then take themselves out of the picture, so to speak.  It's really hurtful.  xx  

• Posted

Hi, Alabama.  Well, please note that "prifry" had one star on their post.  I think that could mean it was their first post on this site, ever.  I'm sure your surgery will go well.  Just remember 4-6 weeks for your external stitches to heal, and longer for internal.  Give your body all the rest it needs to heal properly--you'll only get this one chance to heal. xx

• Posted

Thank you for that post.. just what I needed to here 😔

• Posted

Louise honestly don’t worry about it. When are you due to have surgery? Any questions just ask! xx
    • Posted

I think it was quite insensitive what Prifry said but every one else has been very supportive so , I am grateful and pleased that I joined. 😊

• Posted

Please try not to worry. I had my gallbladder out on 14th July and it was one of the best things I have done! No pain and I can now eat pretty much anything. When do you have your operation?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.