Having the same symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I'm having these same symptoms as everyone is describing with horrific shortness of breath that accompanies it.  I've had this to some extent now for well over 6 months, and it's gotten worse just in the last two months.  I'm a healthy 29 year old man, who's in great physical shape (perfect blood pressure, low resting heart rate, healthy diet) other than this issue. I'm in America, and the doctors don't seem to have much knowledge of this issue, as they told me it's probably anxiety and to keep taking Prilosec. So it didn't take me longer to figure out this is something I'm going to have to do on my own. I really just started today on my new diet and routine, that I'm hoping will cure this. I believe what we have (I'm not a doctor nor have any medical training nor have I had an endoscopy, so this is my opinion and should not be taken as medical advice) is a hiatal hernia mixed with esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus).  What I believe is happening is if we eat too much or too fattening of foods or the wrong foods (chocolate, alcohol, mint), the LES will relax allowing the hernia to move further past the diaphram.  This allows acid to enter the esophagus causing inflammation (the esophagus getting inflamed like this is likened to dropping lemon juice in your eye (esophagus) as opposed to your mouth (the stomach)).

Once the esophagus is inflamed, it takes quite awhile to heal. The best estimate I can find is 4 to 8 weeks. Esophagitis is further irritated by hard foods like hard proteins and hard breads, but not by fattening foods. However, if this is happening along with a hiatal hernia, then the fattening foods will further relax the LES allowing the hernia to move up, causing more acid to enter the esophagus.

So here's what I'm doing to see if I can fix this myself with all the research I've done:

-Soft foods diet for at least 2 to 4 weeks

-Skipping fattening meats or meats that are tough like lean proteins (so that leaves me with immitation crab meat, and creamy peanut butter)

-Started taking Nexium twice daily, not taking once daily probably for 2 more weeks.

-Bought a wedge pillow to sleep sort of upright

-Not eating at least 5 hours before bed.

-Reducing stress (stress apparently relaxes the LES) by not doing much right now beside bare necessities like cleaning and such.

-Twice daily (once in the morning and once in the evening) drinking 2 to 4 cups of water and jumping up and down to keep hernia down.

-Have Gaviscon on the way (apparently it forms a floating barrier of antacid, so my logic is if my acid does go up in the esophagus, the gaviscon will be the first to hit it).

-Walking some after eating, and not lying down after eating for at least 30 minutes or so).

I will update this thread on how I'm coming along, and if this worked. I don't want to jump to any conclusions though for at least a few weeks, as I've thought I had this beat before, but it came back with a vegeance, so this time I'm going all out on it. Wish me luck!

-Eric

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eric

Very good advice. One thing to consider

is HPylori which is the bacteria that causes

bloating, gas, nausea, epigastric pain

acid reflux. If the pain is traveling and u said ur sob u need to r/o cardiac

Symptoms. You can go see a GI dr on

your own if u do not need a referral

by your insurance. Hpylori can be diagnosed by a blood test. It is a bacteria

they treat u by giving u two different antibiotics like Biaxin and pepti bismol.

If u have positive hpylori u need an EGD(Endoscopy). I was a endoscopy nurse

for 25 years. Thanks

• Posted

Esophagitis is often a symptom of a fungal infection. If u have a white coating on your tongue and white patches on your throat

u need Nystatin Swish and Swallow.

• Posted

Hi GI GIrl,

I don't currently have the white coating you speak of, but I'm guessing that would be indicative of the H Pylori?  I did order a rapid response test kit online to test my blood, hoping this will tell me if I have it.  I'm almost certain this is a hernia issue, but it couldn't hurt to check for that as well.  

My cardiac is fine as I've had EKG and those tests done, and my blood pressure is perfect when I'm not panicking from the shortness of breath caused by this stomach issue.  My resting heart rate is 50 bpm with a normal oxygen level and a strong beat.  It's definitely stomach related.

I honestly think there's two things goes on causing the shortness of breath:  I think the esophagitis (caused by acid flowing into my esophagus from the hernia) causes a false shortness of breath by stimulating the nerve ending on the esophagus.  I also think the hernia may be push on my vagus nerve, also causing shortness of breath.  

However, today is day two of this new diet, and I found improvement throughout the day so far until this evening when I overdid it by eating a large dinner and having a stressful phone call with ex-gf. 

Thanks for the responses.  I'm hoping I do not have to do an endoscopy at this point, and I can solve this thing on my mine as even if they do find a hernia on the endoscopy, the treatment would be the same as what I'm doing now correct?

• Posted

Hi GI girl,

isnt esophagitis caused used by fungal infections rare? They are mostly caused in immune compromised people. Reflux esophagitis is the more common one, caused due to acid reflux. 

• Posted

Sirivinay

Infectious esophagitis is caused by bacteria,viruses or fungus

Reflux esophagitis is caused by a reflux of stomach acid into

the esophagus.

Barretts esophagus results from untreated inflammation of the esophagus that can cause changes in the type of cells that make up

the lining of the esophagus. Barretts esophagus increases the risk of esophageal cancer.

Eosinophilic esophagitis is inflmmation of the esophagus due to an increase in the number of white blood cells (eosinophils) in the lining

of the esophageal wall. This can cause the muscles of the esophagus do not work properly to move food through and difficulty in swallowing, Causes are GERD parasitic disease or inflammatory bowel disease(IBD)

I hope this helps

• Posted

My replies are the most recent on that thread

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.