Having trouble keeping motivated to do my exercises at home

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am almost at 9 weeks post op for a right tkr. I was told pre op that I had to follow with physio to make this a success or not to bother with having operation. I have been doing physio 2x a week and following up with exercises at home. Lately though I find I really have to push myself to do my exercises 2x a day at home never mind the 3 recommended! Anyone else feeling this way and how can I keep myself motivated? I know I need to do them cause I do feel stiff if it's late afternoon and I haven't done any yet....I try to discipline myself to morning afternoon and evening but when I sleep til 10 am! (Yay to sleep) it's usually afternoon b4 I do any. I am actually typing this while icing my knee after doing my exercises for the first time today. (It's 1pm here in Canada)

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nine weeks Tuesday and I know exactly how you feel. I must admit a few days last week I didn't do proper stretches until the evening. But compensated by more moving around I guess. I think I am going to write a plan and then tick it off as I do it this week. It will deteriorate if we don't keep going for at least three months or more. I will be okay once I can get to the gym but still can't drive too far. So like dieting it's a case of wanting to be fully recovered and having to stick to the plan to do so. The reward will be worth it! Don't know what your weathers like but I have done some Physio in the garden!
    • Posted

Nice to know I am not alone! Weather here has been cold still with some snow still on the ground! Unfortunately for me I have not been too active in recent years due to both knees causing me grief! But I am making the effort to at least walk around the block! Thanks!
  • Posted

It gets very boring day in day out. I do some of my exercises before I get out of bed, then breakfast and meds. I then have half hour of tv before exercises. I am 11 wks post op and was pleased as physio had changed a few of my exercises. I also try to go for a walk or swim most days, now signed off by physio. Stick with it but vary it with other forms of exercise.
  • Posted

HI

I am so stiff when I et up in the mrning I actually look forward to doing them as I can't really walk beforehand. I also have tendonitis too which is a pain...literally. But I start with some bioil t massage my scar (which actually creeps me out a bit. It is part numb, part hot, and part purple) then gentle stretches then I get a bit more into it. The  lovely OH gives a great tendon massgae and for about 30 minutes afterwards I feel normal ish.   Then I sit down and it all snaps back into place!  Oh well, I am 10 weeks and it is getting there bit by bit. I do still have physio and honestly I do more at home than I do with the therapist.

Good luck

So steel yourself and just remember it will help! Honest.

• Posted

Finding a proper diversion tp take things move along a little smoother is very difficult. I never could read as the book bounced around too much but I did find watching t.v. helped then I found a historical series on dvd and watched it by time rather than just getting glued to it. I would set the timer to 35-45 mins then shut it off on demand. That way I had the motivation to get started next time therapy was due. It's all about trying to break up the monotony.
  • Posted

I am almost 3 weeks since my op and I know exactly how you feel. I just feel so rough some days the thought of doing the exercises makes me want to crawl back into bed! I was hoping I would get past this but after your post I am not so sure.
    • Posted

You will get there . For me it seems every 2 weeks there is some improvement. For me lately I have been getting better sleep at night.that helps with my attitude too.
    • Posted

Carol you are at the 1st of several benchmarks. The 3 week spot is the place where you find yourself questioning why you decided to put yourself through this. You just have to make sure you are doing the necessary and not pushing so hard you are hurting progress. You find d yourself tired, unable to sleep and feeling like progress is at a complete standstill. Back off just a bit without giving in to pain and fatigue. Make sure you are eating healthy even though you don't have much appetite, drink plenty of water and rest every chance you can even during the day. Make sure you are elevating the leg and take a little time to let your mind drift away from the problem at hand

With spring coming just try and enjoy the changing season.

• Posted

Thanks for that, trying to remain positive with the aim of possibly being able to drive in a few weeks. Normally work full time so it is hard being stuck indoors for such a long period. Tomorrow I will be going for my first 'short' walk outside, so hopefully onwards and upwards.
    • Posted

Hi Carol, I was 3 weeks yesterday and Im sat here in tears, tonight has been the first time Ive thought "What the hell have I done?". Sleep is atrocious, appetite all over the place, and I cant get comfortable no matter what I do.

Although I hate to think of anyone else feeling like this, I'm really glad Im understood on here xx

• Posted

O Terri yes its awful it really is Nothing prepares you for it! Remember it so well! Thinking of you and knowing it WILL get better honest - hoping that day comes soon for you x
    • Posted

I have run out of the pain relief that came home with me from the hospital as I was doubling up paracetamol with the codein just to get some relief. My doctor has just prescribed a slow release tramadol for the night time in the hope that it helps my sleep pattern. I really didn't expect the level of pain or the trauma to the muscles in my leg, my surgeon however did tell me that I would be cursing him for the first 12 weeks after the op!
  • Posted

I am almost 16 weeks post op and I just don't want to do the exercises - terrible I know, guess I'm just lazy.  I even stopped pedaling the stationary bike.  However, I have talked myself into thinking that other activities are compensating.  I have been walking the dog daily, doing all the housework, preparing a garden, landscaping a side yard, etc.  Hope that is enough to keep things okay.
  • Posted

Funny I was going to ask how long do we have to do exercises? Daft cos know the answer really - for as long as it hurts its stiff or swollen! Roll on the day cos like you guys find it difficult to discipline myself to do them. So what I'm doing is fitting bits of exercising in whilst I'm doing other things eg bending leg while brushing teeth, doing quarter squats waiting for the kettle to boil, doing leg lifts during adverts watching telly (hate ads!) and so on. Hope this will be enough! Let's all keep going!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.