Having very bad day

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi I am on day 12 after my 2nd tkr feeling very down at the moment this one is so different to the first have a much better bend on this knee than the 1st but the pain is so much worse having to take pain killers every 4 hours just to function. walking to bathroom is a major trial . Maybe I waslucky with 1st not sure but how long can you continue to take the level of pain medication using ice to reduce swelling and brusing, Brusing is much worse than the first every shade at the moment. Just needed to vent and be assured it will get better feeling tearful and very fed up sorry just needed to un burden cry

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear that you're suffering so much at the moment.  I think that we forget the pain of the first few days and weeks after a while.  It's good that you have such a good bend though.  Keep taking the painkillers and using the ice...it will get better.
  • Posted

No problem. That is partly what this site is for. We can all help each other.

Try not to compare too much with the other one, just take each day as it comes.

Hope you end up with a good result.

Praying for you

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Thx yes your right I shouldnt compare but you do human nature but willkeepgoing thx for the thoughts

• Posted

I have been thinking about your situation. I had my left tkr 3 weeks ago and have had a great recovery. Very little pain, 113 flexion, able to walk unaided after 4 days. I am going to have my right knee done in the near future, but your kind of story, is my greatest fear. My right knee is bone on bone also, but, I think that my recovery may not be as rapid. That would suck. Did you or your surgeon do anything differently from the first? Mark
    • Posted

No nothing was done differently last tk r was done second as was not the worse of the 2 was out of hospital on saturday having had op on thursady evening so was feeling ok but since home having morepain  but didnt have a choice re op as I was also bone on bone so it was only when. Thought I would get all over 1st tkr was done in sept 15. Dont regret as needed doing but so so different to the first
  • Posted

Oh how I feel for you! People just saying take one day at a time I know although true does not help you at this moment! I assume you have phoned and spoken to your doctor about the pain? I know when I had my first knee done the pain level came as a shock but I followed docs orders to keep on top of pain before it builds too much and becomes unbearable , that ess good advice even though I'm not a person to take pills there are times and this is one where you just have to go with it for a while, it really does get better I promise.

so assuming you have spoken to doc and take your pills every four hours you will get through this!

take heart and know you are not alone Lin XX

• Posted

yes have spokento doc he didnt want to give stronger pain meds feel light heasded on ones using so willcontinue  thx for answer willkeep going dont have a choice but not a good day
  • Posted

Hi, I am 6 weeks post tkr surgery and I am still on painkillers and ice , had check up yesterday and as I am still in a lot of pain ,have been told to contact doctor for stronger medication. Don't worry you can take your medications for as long as you need them. I think the recovery from this surgery takes a long time and I was told yesterday that it cannot be rushed and everyone recovers in their own time. I get tearful too because I wasn't expecting to feel as I do, but this forum really helps because we are all going through the same thing. When I get over this I have to get my other knee done, and at the moment I cannot even think about it. Stay strong and we are all here to help. Take care Jannette
  • Posted

Hi, I am 5 months past 2nd TKR and similarly had more pain second time round. In hindsight I seemed to have more swelling around my kneecap which caused a lot if pain and as soon as I started to massage the area regularly it helped, but took about 2 weeks to properly loosen up - but this made a huge difference.  I should have been more gentle with my exercising as each physio session made it worse.  Trouble is physios always want to push us through the pain but in this case it made it worse.  Keep taking the needs - I am still taking regular ibuprofen and paracetamol and still have some painful/stiff days.l
  • Posted

My first knee did well in 5 weeks time but then I had the second one done and it was a different story. I am 8 weeks out and still need ice and occasional pain killers. The tendon behind my knee just doesn't get better.At your stage I was very depressed and I think the pain was worse than the first one. I did not get any relief until week 3 was over.

Maila

• Posted

So sorry to hear that you are having so much pain. It can be very upsetting when old pain is gone but new pain arrives! These surgeries are very complicated, and there is GREAT TRAUMA to the body because of them.

My first TKR was last June. My whole leg was like a tree trunk filled with CEMENT. Lots of swelling! When they got me up that evening I nearly fainted and needed to be put back down in my bed. I was unable to move my leg for several days, and even then my leg felt NUMB, heavy and very strange. All eventually got better with physical therapy, but it was a long process.

My second surgery was in October of last year. It was with the same surgeon in the same hospital. My experience was VERY DIFFERENT from the moment I woke in the recovery room. I was able to move my SURGICAL leg right away! It was like I had had my surgery many weeks before! I was completely amazed at the difference between my two SURGICAL experiences! My second was my worst leg, and I expected much more trouble with it than my first. Just goes to show that we really are never sure how things will go!

It's good to hear that you are having a good bend. Bruising varies by the person, and there may have been issues during surgery that produced more bruising.

Ice helped me somewhat, but ELEVATING my leg WAAAAY above my heart was the most helpful and relieved more PAIN and pressure and swelling than anything else that I did.

As far as walking is concerned, just do a bit then REST. More frequent small amounts helped me the most. I did A LOT of practicing walking around in our home while I was homebound for the two weeks before my staples came out. Walking more frequently also helped eliminate some of the stiffness.

Day 12 is still very early in the game! Be patient and look for small victories. They will be there; you will just have to look a little harder for them at this stage.

Keep us posted on your progress. Take medication as needed, eat well, drink plenty of water to flush out anesthesia, and be confident in your self! You did this once, and you will be successful doing it AGAIN!

Praying that things will be better for you very soon!

• Posted

It seems to be unanimous that one leg will be different than the other. Through family and people ive met in pt this seems to be the common thread. It'll take time but you'll get there.
  • Posted

12 days is typical for needing painkillers.

Did u use the same surgeon?

So sorry ur not doing well!

We all good and bad days. Stay on this forum and u will feel ur not alone.

• Posted

I hate to disagree but there is no such thing as a typical time and certainly nog 12 days. Most are on 6 weeks and others longer. 12 days must be one Dr's. Idea. My pain management people subscribe to the practice that in this day and age no one should be in pain while trying to get through this surgery. As long as they aren't being used as a crutch for aches and as sleeping pills plus taking as prescribed they will get you through the tough times and not let the idea of pain be a barrier to therapy. I realize I'm different because of the history but I've been on pain pills for years. I vary doseage depending on level but my Dr wouldnt think of cutting me off. Sometimes a 30 day supply lasts 45-50 days.....other times I get through the 30 days and that's it. Leaving people in pain is just a way of appeasing insurance companies. Also, I go to a teaching medical school that is continually running studies on pain meds and are very conservative.
    • Posted

Hi, lol, I didn't mean the text the way it read.

I meant 12 days is much to early to be off meds. I don't know how it came out that way! My mistake .

• Posted

Wow....I was really concerned that anyone would think they should be off pain meds inside of 2 weeks. I really believe too much is made of addiction and meds. People become so concerned about the adverse publicity that they really do a poor job of caring for themselves and it slows down rehab. One problem people like me have in the US, the medicare insurance is so tight and controlled they won't give you enough in the beginning to d k the job. You are continually worried about running out. The last 2 or 3 times I came home from the hospital I was given a script for 5 mg oxycodone with an option of 5 to 25 mg every 4 hours. The insurance company wanted to allow a total of 4 pills every 24 hrs. The drs had to play games by using multiple products, a couple of which were weaker so we were playing mix and March for 3 weeks or so. I was in a rehab center and there the nurses, by law had to dispense exactly as prescribed. At home I could work the pills and pain levels as well as times so I was comfortable. Keep on Keeping on. The battle can be won.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.