havnt started pills whats the best way to go

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive been depressed for 3 years now and now im at my lowest thoughts of killing myself low self esteem fatigue feeling of having no porpouse and i want to change that im 21 and through out my younger teen years i was the life of things a funny guy very confidwnt but this was only beacuasse of the voilence and abuse during my younger years and never feeling wanted ive been with my girlfrwind 2 years shes know working full time and living her life and i dont want to burdon this on her as shes the only person in life whos made me feel loved and i dont want to loose her but i do want to her to remember the old me but tht person has gone hes hiding somwhere i just want him back before i do somthing stupid

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dan, you have to summon up the energy to see gp and be totally honest about how you are feeling at present,I have been on/off anti-depressant medication over 20yrs and always had issues with the side effectswhen 1st starting them again which is why alot of people stop them within days/few weeks BUT it can take 4-6-8 wks in my experience to start getting the benefits if depression is the cause of your above symptoms.Your brain has a chemical imbalance that needs nourishing again (Serotonin) Involve your girlfriend from the start as this is far from a quick fix couple of weeks and better.You need to address this now.I recognise i was depressed probably from puberty but didn't get professional help until i was 30 plus.You have a life ahead of you and a well treated well supported episode of depression will pass over time ( may take 6 months) but you will get better.Best Wishes

• Posted

It's so upsetting that some mental health workers don't listen about trauma that people have experienced. Tablets never worked on me but if they work on others that's fine, I think they should make sure people have suport around them when they start meds as they tell you they can make you feel suicidal- you probably already felt like that, that's why you wanted help from them. Traumas that can happen to us can make anxiety a big problem and without the understanding and because of the stiff upper lip, we got on with it, but without proper support it is difficult.
    • Posted

we are all so individual and complex and in a place where we want the right person with the right expertise to listen and get us then put us on the right path to feel better at a time when you are at your most vulnerable all of which needs time,commitment,patience and trust.I constantly say you have to be as strong as an ox to fight your way through a mental health system completely flawed and historically bottom of the heap with regard to the amount of finance invested.That's on top of the stigmas surrounding mental health in general so we have a whole mountain to struggle up from the outset,deciding to try and find a way to help yourself is just the beginning !!

• Posted

Hey, i was in the same position as you, not wanting to burden my boyfriend with what was going through my mind and kept it to myself for too long, and i did lose myself and still am a totally different person than i was a few years back. Ill be 21 next month and i was the same, although i have always been quite shy around people i dont know, i was always the life of the party and the go to girl with people i did know and friends or theirs. The best advice i could give is to go and see your gp and explain everything, even things you may see as embarresing or silly, because you dont want to make yourself feel worse and the longer you leave it the harder it will be. My boyfriend will admit that i am not the same person he fell in love with, although he still loves me, but i want more than anything to be the person i used to be and am now working towards this with the help of talk therapy, CBT and waiting for my appointment with a phyciatrist (sorry i cant spell that word) and medication (200mg sertraline). I waited along time and still find it hard to be honest with my therapist, and cancelled my conciller as i was lying to her about how i had been. I wish you the best, and please please be honest with your gp staright away, its one thing i regret. I also write alot now, about how i feel, what thoughts are racing through my mind, things i do that are 'wierd', and this seems to help me a little and i also have taken these notes to my therapist as i find that easier than talking, maybe this will help? Also, Does your girlfirend know at all how you have been feeling? If not, even though it will be hard, it is probably best to tell her, as my boyfriend spent a long time believing i was so unhappy because i wasnt happy in our relationship, which of course is not the case and now he tries to be more understanding. It will be hard for your gf to understand if she hasnt expeirenced or knows someone close that has experienced depression, so maybe look online with her about the condition so she may get a better understanding of how you feel. (i also done this and found it was easier than trying to explain it as i get worked up and muddled) Sorry to go on and on, i hope you manage to get help and know that this is an illness, not you. You can beat this and my thoughts are with you. Good luck and let us know how you get on xx 
  • Posted

Hi Dan have u been to see your doctor he can give u medication and maybe arrange to go speakers with a councillor xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.