Head pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello guys! I had lumbar puncture yesterday and I’ve woke up this morning with such a bad head pain, I’ve found it is worse when I’m sat up, when I’m laid down it doesn’t hurt... is this normal?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi rose are you in hospital if not go see your doc i had horrendous pain in my head and neck for over a year it turned out they had caused me a bulging disc in my neck and i didnt find that out till way after the lp i had 2 attempts and it was the worst experience of my life the pain and the bruising was horrendous they can do a blood patch i wasnt offered any of that just treated like i was a moaner i was crying out for pain killers and was on tramadol for some time after and naproxin paracetamol apparently caffeine is good for lp pain
    • Posted

Hello, no I’m at home now: I think I’m gonna see how I go and if it’s still bad I’ll call my Doctors tomorrow. Thankyou for your reply! And sorry your still suffering xx
  • Posted

I have done lots of research since my lumbar puncture from hell so i have lots of knowledge its 2 years july just gone and im still suffering
  • Posted

Lying down definitely gave me relief! Until my spinal fluid built back up, the headaches persisted but eventually got better. Hope you feel better soon! 
    • Posted

Definitely follow up with your doctor.  I did have a couple of follow up visits to make sure I was ok. It took almost 10 days for me to feel better. Take care! 
    • Posted

Yeah mines okay when I’m lying down when I sit up my head kills! I’ll see how I feel tomorrow and call the doctors if it’s still bad xxx
  • Posted

Hello Rose, I've too had an LP a year or so ago and yes LP headaches are a real thing that happens. Mines kicked in a day after the LP and I could not sit up straight for over a week. I say stay lying down in a supine position and drink lots of fluids.

The spinal fluids need to return to normal inside your skull depending on how well your puncture has healed, so try not to move your lower back around too much and be sure to not lift heavy objects. I know it sounds scary but it's how your body needs to heal itself. Don't stress out too much btw, you will return to normal in no time.

• Posted

Im interested to see how you are. Im on day 4 after LP and i am suffering so much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.