heading off an infection- ideas?

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hello, I'm new here. 

I have extensive diverticula, and have had years where I've had 3+ infections that needed the flagyl/cipro treatment. I've managed to avoid any infectious bouts for about 2 years now, but I've developed a 'hot spot' again. Do any of you have tips for how to help my body prevent a full-on infection from developing? I'd rather not have to be on abx again. 

THanks. 

oh- I'm already avoiding FODMAPS foods. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Maybe diet. I have low level symptons. In discussions with my Doctor I have gone Paleo (increased fibre intake) and are trying chilli, mustard, tumerac and curry into dinner meals (not all of them in every meal) to try and kill off the infection and move the food that has lodged in the colon. I have also increased my water intake before and after meals.
  • Posted

The only advise I was given was take fiber everyday and drink lots of water as not to get constipated. I had my most recent attack in February where I was admitted to the hospital given the antibiotics you have taken through IV. It has taken me until 3 weeks ago to feel much better. This was my first this year. I get usually twice a year. I also have IBS. Wish I could help more but I think no one knows for sure what triggers the flair up.
  • Posted

Hi,

I (thankfully) haven't got diverticula problems but I have got a great deal of experience of cipro.  I know it's difficult to keep your problems under control but please be very wary of taking any more Ciprofloxacin or any other of the fluoroquinolones.  They can build up toxic levels in your body - any part of it - and just one more pill can set off a "time bomb" of adverse reactions. 

The majority of doctors will say not to worry as these reactions are very rare. They're certainly not rare but are rarely reported as most doctors don't believe they happen!  Please check out the Quinolone (or fluoroquinolone) discussions on this site to see that I'm not joking!  The FDA announced last year that the use of FQs must be resticted to only the most serious cases.  They can actively promote C.diff - which is probably not something you want!

I don't apologise if I've scared or worried any of you in this group - the symptoms are awful from agonising pain in all joints and muscles to actual tendons snapping.  Not to mention insomnia and panic attacks etc....

Please do discuss with your dotor about the other options you have to deal with a flare up.  The more natural remedies such as turmeric and coconut oil are just beginning to make the news.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you. I have been warned of those nasty side effects. Unfortunately when I try other antibiotics they do not work and I end up in the hospital.

Are you saying turmeric and coconut oil can cure an attack? That would be wonderful. I'll check into it. Who would u suggest would be able to give me more information?

• Posted

I'm not saying anything but I do believe that turmeric and coconut oil  have unrecognised healing powers.  They may be able to ward off an attack, I think to cure an attck would be a bit ambitious - but you never know".  Search for golden ointment, or turmeric + coconiut oil, and see what you can find. Look at what Ian says above. 

As for the antibiotics, discuss with your doctor about a different broad spectrum other than a quinolone.  Have a read of the discussions under Fuoroquinolones on this site of you think I'm making it up.  You really don't want to get 'floxed' on top of your other problems!

• Posted

I've been dealing with this disease for many years and yes I 💯 know what you are saying is legitimate. Finding the right herbalist or naturalist is the question? Finding one with the knowledge and expertise is the other problem. Being able to get someone to calculate the correct amount is my concern. We will probably never know what causes some to have this disease and others not. I personally thinks genetics is the source of our problem.

• Posted

I do have diverticulitis and was given Cipro/flagyl for it a year and a half ago.

I had had Cipro twice before for a uti and was aware this drug did not feel right in me. The first Cipro for the div destroyed my liver and the drs in the ER did not get it and put me on Avelox ( same family of antibiotics) for ten days. I am 66 and have lost life as I knew it. They are not honest with you about this medication because most doctors do not understand. I have lost tendons, have burning neuropathy that has me screaming in pain, my heart is a mess among many other side affects. I have to have a handicap parking pass & must be in a wheelchair if walking any distance. I would choose death over this if I had to do it over. And I want to scare because you should be!!!! Augmentin and other antibiotics will still treat diverticulitis.

Please listen as I can not even play with my grandchildren when I was doing dance & music classes with them. Please take note, this is no joke!

• Posted

Hi Nicole, I'm so sorry this happened to you and I have to say your story is almost familiar to me.  I have read about many people who either have a 'suspected' infection or have an actual problem and have had their lives ruined by it.

Cipro doesn't care whether it has real or suspected infections to deal with, once it's in a body it will go for its targets which are in both bacterial cells AND mammalian cells.  This is the bit most doctors don't get.  They think it's safe and doing a great job and that side effects are rare.  They're not rare but extremely under-reported as most doctors deny that Cipro or its siblings are ever the cause of any problem.

Where are you - in the US?  Have you found the Floxie Hope website where you can chat with other affected people?

I always careful to say I'm not trying to scare people as the Moderator has told me off a few times!  He did, by request, post a thread in the Quinolone discussion topic giving addresses of various helpful sites though, which is something I can't do. You'll find it here:

http://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

I wish you health and healing - one day soon!

• Posted

I thank you for your honesty. You are surely suffering and I am sorry. I will continue to explore other antibiotics as augmentim did not ease my infection and I was hospitalized. Very sick. They had to infuse with fagel and leproxen. I am better but fear of the unknown will always be there. It's a nasty disease and hopefully I will try to stay healthy. I will definitely ask what else can cure a flare up if I get another.

• Posted

Some suggestions for you.

1. Don't over eat, eat small portion.

2. Try not to drink to much soda.

3. Eating things like pizza and bagels does not help. Hard gluten breads hard to Digest

4. Take a good daily probiotic.

5. Drink more water. 

6. No Ibuprofen

• Posted

Thank you all! I had forgotten turmeric can help, and I'll keep that in mind for next time. 

I'm trying to avod those antibiotics because I do experience side effects and its not fun. 

What helped was green leafy veggies and plenty of olive oil, garlic gelcaps, and yes lots of water. The spot seems to have resolved and I have lots of new ideas. Thanks everyone!

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up