Healing a Chronic Anal Fissure

Posted , 51 users are following.

I suffered with an anal fissure for almost 6 months. Having bowel movements was like passing shreds of glass & the pain was so bad for hours afterwards. I would wake up the next day dreading the next bowel movement. I actually thought it was piles & didnt know what it was until after about 8 weeks. The doctor gave me the usual creams etc and it did seem to work for a few days but then would come back. I finally was able to somewhat control the pain but the fissure wasnt healing. After reading everything I could about it & peoples trials & errors I wanted to share with you what finally healed the fissure. Please note I have no medical experience and I am just sharing what worked for me. 

First drink lots of water. I drink 12-14 8oz glasses everyday. I ensure I have fibre with all my meals. For 1 week I had a sitz bath with epsom salts in it & use to soak in it for 20 mins. At night before bedtime I took 30ml of Cremaffin stool softner for about 1 month. I know this is too long to be taken this as well as too much but this used to make bowel movements pain free. Afterwards I gradually reduced 5ml every 2 weeks. But what really healed the fissure itself was applying Sudocrem nappy rash cream. I applied it gently (with very short nails to make sure I didnt scratch myself further!!) just inside my anus as well as around the tag.  I read that zinc oxide would help it heal and remembered my sons Sudocrem. I used to apply it about 4-5 times a day for about 1 week then reduced to 2 times a day. So far its been about 2 weeks and I have been pain free. I still take Cremaffin 10 ml every night & apply Sudocrem before bed. I hope this will help someone else too as cos as you know its the worst pain ever!!

9 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thanks for this. I have been on coconut oil suppositories that I make. And been using Manuka honey and tea tree oil. Though it is better I still had pain for hours after a motion. I also have loose stools in general. So too many motions.

Anyway now I have bought this cream

• Posted

I too used pure coconut oil 3 times a day that I used to apply however the pain was back after a few days. Sudocrem is the only thing thats worked for me since this began in February after being very constipated for a few days. Sudocrem does say its not for internal use but I apply it just inside on the fissure itself.
    • Posted

Let me know how it goes with the cream. Do the sitz bath too at least 2 times a day. Try and have only 1 motion a day if possible but dont not go if you get the urge to have one. Also careful with the fibre intake. If you suddenly increase it you will have loose motion and this aggravates the fissure as well. 
    • Posted

The burning after a motion and the spasms are so much better after the cream just used one day.... Thanks so much for suggesting this. The coconut oil and all helped but not as much as this. I hope it sustains. Will let you know.

Are you still applying the Sudocrem?  I am traveling and so the Sitz baths have been hard.

• Posted

Hi, wondering whether the sudocrem worked in healing your fissure successfully? 
    • Posted

Hi how did you get on? Massively struggling here x

• Posted

I have suffered the pain of anal fissures for years and years - But the cure is very VERY simple you just have to do it. Believe me people, believe me. Are you ready for this, Cut all ALL!!! Gluten from your diet. The fissures will start to heal within days. I have passed this cure on to 5 people suffering the agony and every one  has heald very quickly. Be carefull because if after a few months you are completly cured and start eating gluten again (I tried this) the agony returns.
  • Edited

The Sudocream is helping me. It's not gone yet but much under control. I wanted to thank you.

Also wanted to know if you have had any relapses. I get a bit of bad pain once in a while esp if I have gone too frequently or after a long time. The latter only happened due to a long plane ride.

Anyway shall continue my regime.

• Posted

I have a question. Since it seems like you are on the path of healing, i can have days of no pain during a bm, then the pain comes back. In your experience Does that mean my healing stopped, and im no longer healing? or even while healing I will have pain with bm but will continue to be less and less pain until im completely healed?
    • Edited

I was hoping nazy would reply. Since that's who's advice has given me the most relief. But let me try and respond.

I think if you have pain free days and then some recurrence it still means you are healing. Just not healed. It's very frustrating the pace of healing and the set backs but as long as it's more and more pain free times it's worth trying.

In my case my challenge is keeping bowels soft and yet not too runny. Too many bms or hard stools are a huge set back. I do not take any artificial stool softeners since adequate fruits and vegetables do the trick for me.

I have not had more than two days of 'not much pain' so far. Then something triggers it again.

As some one said - gluten, meats even fish, alcohol all seem to be contra beneficial. After moving to a full rice and vegetables, lentils etc bases diet and lots of yoghurt it's been steadily improving.

So hang in there and continue the routine that works for you.

• Posted

Thanks for answering. I'm scared to not take the artificial softeners because I'm afraid of the hard stool. For me it's just frustrating because I can go up to 9 days at a time, then something sets me back. Keeping my diet the same can't figure out what makes the pain come back. And also it's impossible for me to only have one bm a day. The mornings not too painful but by the time the afternoon one comes I'm still in pain from the morning..I just want to be pain free!!
    • Posted

I have not been free for 9 days without pain since it started. But yes I too tend to have two bm. And noticed yesterday that I had no pain after second. And even had a third. So I didn't have fruits yesterday. And this morning was a bit hard initially to go and am now in some pain.

Is it the stool softener that is making you go twice? I found that going less helped me. Are you putting in coconut oil suppository I make it by poring coconut oil and a few drops of tea tree oil in a steel flat container and out it in the fridge. Then every night I take a wedge out with a knife and insert.

I am also now inserting the Sudocrem a little deeper since the edge sphincter area seems healed but a tag or something inside is the pain area. I put Sudocrem twice a day. And Manuka twice. Coconut oil before sleeping.

• Posted

Yes I believe it is the stool softener. If I could just go once a day i would be so much better. The afternoon kills me.I try not to eat all day thinking that will help not have the 2ND one, but it doesnt. I tried making suppositories but could never get it right, so I ordered some from amazon. I use them at night, and manuka throughout the day. The manuka irritates me and makes me all itchy, but just between my butt cheeks. It's weird. But I feel like i can't stop using it. How long have you had your fissure?
    • Posted

Two months. Bowel movements are also habitual. So try break the afternoon habit. Have prunes, oats, dried fruits and fresh fruits perhaps instead of the stool softener. It's a bit of trial and error. Please try Sudocrem too
    • Posted

Hi Amala2562 & vanessa59744, Sorry not been online for a while so didnt see your Q. Since i started applying Sudocrem I did have 1 relapse for 1 day this week & thats cos I was away on vacation & not been as careful with my diet.  ie no fiber, lots of sweets, 2 or more bowel movements a day & very little water. But the pain was never very bad just a bit sore for awhile. 

I still take 10ml of Cremaffin every night & started applying Sudocrem thrice a day & warm sitz bath with a bit of epsom salts twice a day if possible.

Before the relapse I have been pain free for abt 6 weeks & after being in pain since arnd February this has been such a huge relief so am trying to not let this small relapse worry me too much cos I know I can get it under control again.

However I am worried abt completely stopping taking Cremaffin as this helps with the softness of the stools although I do have plently of fiber with all 3 meals & 14 glasses of water a day. I trick is to have only 1 bowel movement a day as this will give the fissure time to heal for a few hrs at a time. Too much fiber & it will make you go more & irritate the fissure. Initially I used to take 30ml Cremaffin when the pain was very bad but now am down to 10ml. 

I read someone that it can take upto 6 months to completely heal a fissure & although thats a pain (literally & figuratively!!! :S) i much prefer that to having LIS & the very real possibility of having accidents at my age ( I am 36).

So hang in there & once you get into a routine of having your water & fiber etc it really doesnt seem like such a chore any more & it will heal.

• Posted

Thanks Nazy78 for the reply. I will go back to applying Sudocrem thrice a day. The cream stays there and doesn't get absorbed or go away. Hence had reduced.

Shall resume. Also why the Epsom salts in the bath? I have not been using any.

Thanks once again.

• Posted

Thanks nazy78. That's great!! And it reassures me to hear that it really is possible to heal without the surgery. Because a lot of times I get discouraged. Yes like 2amala2562 was saying about the 1 bm a day that seems like my problem. It's always 2, and the 2nd one hurts alot..I don't know how to stop that one. And the cremmafin seems like a great product, but i don't think it's available here. I'm Def gonna try the sudocream tho. I feel the exact same as you about the lis. I'm 35 and not liking forward to possibility of accidents.
    • Posted

Having more bm's a day is usually the reason for a relapse I feel & I think the reason I got my one. Was on vacation & really over ate!!! 

Cremaffin is a milk of magnesia stool softner. I think any milk of magnesia stool softner should do the trick?

The warm sitz baths do help too. amala2562 I use either table salt (cos the GP said to use this) or epson salt cos read this helps with healing. So whichever ones close at hand. Havent really noticed a difference when using either or when using water alone.

So my treatment for this is 

1. Prevent constipation with plenty of water & just enough fiber.

2.Cremaffin to keep stools soft

3. Sitz baths & Sudocrem to actually heal the fissure itself.

Am in Sri Lanka so after creams & baths the next option the doctors give you is to have dilation or LIS & I so want to avoid both!!! 

• Posted

Can you tell me which sudocrem to buy there are a few different kinds and I need help so discouraged too many set backs
    • Posted

I hope you are completely healed !! I have three BMs a day ....of course taking magnesium to create movement and soften doesn't help but I usually go three times a day I am loosing my mind this is so horrible any advice on how to balance bowls would be so grateful. I don't take fiber at it seems too bulking. I am afraid to eat and have cut my intake back so much and am on a strict diet of fiber and some fish protein -help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.