Health anxiety

Posted , 10 users are following.

I suffer from health anxiety and find it very difficult to overcome. I feel addicted to googling my symptoms, this only makes me panic more but I feel like I have to do it. I have convinced myself so much that I'm positive I have something wrong with me - at the moment I'm sure I have intracranial pressure (you can probably tell by the name of that the lengths which I've gone to researching things) please tell me this is just anxiety and I don't actually have anything wrong with me? In the last few months I have had an mri scan and it came back fine but this still isn't enough to convince me

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hannah You will see I have posted a long message for help. I don't know how old you are but assume

you are young. With regard to googling your symptoms I do this all the time and imagine the worst. From

what I have read this is a classic health anxiety behaviour. Have you been to your GP. CBT is good. I went to a CBT workshop at local hospital on NHS no cost. It did start to help but I had to cut it short due to other

problems. Sorry I can't be more helpful Please keep in touch if you want to.

• Posted

Calm down first of all then try and instill some positive mantras like repeating to yourself I am fine there is nothing wrong I am lucky. Think of poor children in the world who really have a burden and you will realise how fortunate you are. Health anxiety is grim and hard to break free from but it can be done gradually. It will not happen overnight and does take effort and positive attitude. Good luck and stop googling immediately!!!
  • Posted

Usually when a doctor says you are fine, people still worry because there is no test proving it.

You've had an MRI and got the all clear. Thats the holy grail of what an anxiety sufferer wants. You are fine. You can have a rubber band like pressure round your head when you are anxious. Not pleasant.

Stop worrying. An MRI all clear is as solid proof anyone could want that they are actually fine smile

• Posted

Okay thanks everyone. The googling will end now!!
  • Posted

I had my first panic attack 1 year and a half ago , it was full blown atack since then i suffer, in the begining i would be on google every second at least first 6 months and i would get worst and end up in emergency.i have done every test posible because i had and have every symptom posible. Still to this day i think i will dye from some thing that doc cant find but i don't go to google anymore , trust me is not worth it .what symptoms do you have ? They say are like 100 of them and i have all of themsad good luck and be strong.
  • Posted

Hi Thank you everyone for replying and your kind words. I have decided not to keep googling and use my

computer as intended ebay,shopping ancestry etc. Forgot to mention I have asked GP to repeat my yearly

blood tests early and this will happen next week. I thought perhaps the thyroid dose needs adjusting. I am

goind to ask for back xrays as the pain is all over and I do have neck arthritis and scan or endoscopy if

indigestion etc does not clear up soon. Best wishes to all of you. I need to get well as I have 4 lovely

grandchildren that I want to spend time with. Thanks once again.

• Posted

Hi Hannah what ever you do don't ever, ever. Google symptoms.Far better to come on forum and just tell people on site what's worrying you.The advice already said is correct,I won't entertain these symptom checkers period you do the same.you just need to take the step ask for that referral now this week good luck x
  • Posted

PS I think Madwal wrote an excellent piece on yesterday's forum
  • Posted

Hi im going through the same im totally convince iv got brain tumour and lung cancer but iv had blood test were okey google is a scary world anxiety is horrible iv had the worst 5 weeks of my life
  • Posted

Thanks everyone much appreciated smile ooh is it possible to have the link to that please?
  • Posted

Im so sick and tired of this mess! Ive tried all kinds of meds had all kinds of test and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

What is the link to the Madwal post mentioned above? Anybody know?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.