Health Anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys, new on here and i just wanted to say its great to know i'm not the only one going through all this!

I was diagnosed with anxiety a few weeks ago and prescribed citalopram, and despite taking for about i week, i stopped taking them because i felt like i needed to be strong enough to cope with this myself. Since then i feel my symptoms have gotten worse, I get chest pain and tightness, swollen feeling in the throat, pain in shoulders, arms and legs. I'm always tired, i'm developing Irritable bowel syndrome, i get groin pains.. basically everything under the bloody sun. The hardest bit is accepting its not a heart disease or anything cardiac related, since the symptoms are so similar. Its ruining my life at the moment, i have no energy to do anything, i live in fear 24/7 like i'm going to die. i get mardy and can snap at people.. now i know we're all going through this i feel a little better. i guess  because i'm 19 and i've never really been ill or anything, my mind is blowing symptoms out of the water, so to all my fellow health anxiety sufferers on this forum, i hear you guys. the feeling of thinking you're going to die.. Its probably just as bad as knowing you are.. so, yeah. Hopefully this will all end soon and its just some stage i'm going through.

thanks guys! smile

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Everything your saying is what happens and ibe been through the same, I don't want to take tabletc either I think I'm weak minded if I do, you will conquer ut hun, hopefully we all will, it's a horrible illness to have but many of us have it, we are all not alone in this, irritable bowel is so common with people who have anxiety it's all to do with stress it's anazing how our body work, welcome to the forum xxx
    • Posted

Thanks emily, nice to know there are people who don't laugh in my face when i tell them this illness. May i ask how long you've suffered from this?
  • Posted

Hi Scott im the exact same just i havent been prescribed citalopram  im on diazepam i too want to stop them only been taking them for 5 days but cant help but say to myself i shouldnt be on this sort of medication i should be strong enough to be able to deal with it myself but i just cant ~(im 22 btw )all day especially for the past 2 weeks but worse today i have had severe chest pain its got to the point where everyday i am wanting to go to hospital as i think what if this time its a heart attack and thats the time i havent been to hospital sounds crazy i know but in the past month i have been hospital 5 times, had 5 ecgs, had blood tests etc all FINE so why am i still experiencing such severe symptoms that all relate to heart attack? i totally sympathise what u are going through im new to the forum too been on here about 5 days now really glad i did as it reassures u are not alone but still doesnt help with my symptoms thats something i need to control but im finding it so hard lately i never used to be like this i used to be confident outgoing and now i feel like a shadow of myself constantly worrying about my heart checking my heart beat etc its awful! i hope u feel better soon hun as u say we are all in the same boat and emphasise in what u are going through so please dont feel u are alone its easy for me to give advice but unfortunatly i cannot take it sad i just keep thinking hospital have missed something hence why i keep getting the pains especially right now under my left breast area is so painful like a shooting pain just wish it would stop, u can private message me anytime if u need to talk smile 
    • Posted

Laura i agree with you and my main symptom is also chest pain and it's horrible lol , my doctor also prescribe me citalopram 10mg and xanax 0.5 mg( another type of diazepam) finally i had to start taking it lol and this is my 5th week on them just thinking positive though
    • Posted

Yes! i am the EXACT same as you at the moment!

one way i eased myself of the immediate 'OMFG I NEED AN AMBULANCE" feeling was to see exactly WHY the symptomns were being caused by anxiety. For example i found that the short sharp pains are caused by gas bubbles trapped in places they shouldn't be and that the body literally produces gas when stressed out or anxious as a side effect from increased reactions, and i don't know if you get these but i get this 24/7 pain of tightness in the chest, which i once read as a sign of an angina, so that completely freaked me out, but then i read its the muscles around the chest wall being pulled because of subconscious contractions. Knowing this helped me big time because although i still feel scared all the time, and feeling like there is something wrong with me, my brain is beggining to understand the scientific reasons as to why there is pain. Because i know how unbelievable it is that a state of mind can cause physical pain!

hope this might help you too! i think we can all see that we have anxiety rather than heart disease deep down or we wouldn't be on this thread to begin with, but thankyou for the welcome and i'm always available to message aswell laura! x

• Posted

My GP told me it takes about 2 weeks for them to kick in, are you feeling that your physical symptoms are stopping or easing? because thats all i really want smile
    • Posted

I wouldn't say that my symptoms have been disappeared but off course it's not as bad as it used to be actually I never wanted to start anti depressants bcoz i read some horrible comments about it then my brother helped me and assured me that i will be fine since he had been through this 3 years ago and he was on anti depressants for about an year and now he is perfectly fine
    • Posted

Yeah i also heard of friends they have long term effects. i will go back on them now you have said your physical symptonms have got better,cheers sameer!
    • Posted

It could be a number of things but i've been thinking about the trigger, firstly i've had a rough year all round. i had a house fire a few months ago at five in the morning, luckily i was asleep downstairs and woke up from the smoke before it got bad and killed my whole family. I've been burgled twice this year.. so every noise at night i hear i'm like "da fuq is that" so then i think its post traumatic stress from these occasions..

also i have just moved out of my parents house to live on my own and my work hours have tripled so maybe the stress from that has caused it.

finally before my anxiety was diagnosed and i have any chest related pains, i had a horrible swollen throat. usually i'm a rash and calm person but for some reason my mind instantly thought i had throat cancer. i worried about it so bad until my doctor told me it was just the cold weather and there's nothing wrong. after that was when i got the chest pains and all other symptoms because i was anxious and stressed about my throat. 

but yeah could be any of those reasons really.

what about you, do you think you had a trigger?

• Posted

Off course lol i am certain that weed was the triggered for me , i had a bad panic attack when i got high that day and since that i never feel my self again always worried about my chest and each and every single day i used to think that i will going to die today
    • Posted

About 2 years ago i used weed quite alot, fortunatly i found it quite easy to quit and just outright stopped, i don't think its the problem for me as it was so long ago.

yeah i know how it is man, completely life ruining, i wish i could just take my mind off it but i can't rolleyes

• Posted

from rugeley, staffordshire

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.