Health anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I'm told I have health anxiety although I don't believe this. I have central chest pains left arm pain shortness of breath ect all associated with heart attack and I'm 100 per cent convinced there is something wrong with my heart I've seen a few doctors and been to A&E had ecg bloods and chest xray and nothing was found so my gp said what I'm fearing is in Tur coming out in physical symptoms. What I'd like to know is people's opinions on medications for health anxiety I'm currently on 150mg of sertraline and diazepam when needed although I feel the diazepam don't do much at all now

1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

For your piece of mind...ask your Dr. to refer you to a Cardiologist.

Anxiety can cause chest pains...but next time you have them...go to the ER and say you have chest pains (if your Dr. won't send you to a Cardiologist)...they will run the appropriate tests (blood work and EGG) to see if it IS your heart.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Well funny thing is I have been to A&E on a number of occasions since January last time was June. I told them I thought was my heart. They did blood test a ecg and chest xray and sent me home with all is ok.

I then asked my doctor to see a cardioligist who I saw about 6 weeks ago he took my blood pressure looked at the test already done and said he didn't believe it was heart related as there is nothing to warrant extra testing at my age

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sorry to say ...but that's all the symtoms of anxiety!!!I've been there,I've been having anxiety for 4 1/2 years....and u get like that when u are having an anxiety attack!!!!I've been to the er so many times and have had the ambulance at my house plenty of times cause of the chest pain and arm numbness & other symptoms,but that's what anxiety does to u when u r panicking....it feels like ur gonna die or u start thinking u r having a heart attack....I've had ekg's,lots of blood work & xrays done & the doctors tell me that I'm very healthy....that's what anxiety does to u....when u have anxiety,u don't believe what the doctors tell u,u always feel like there's sumthing they missed....but the truth is....it's ANXIETY!!!!I know how u feel & u r not alone....just gotta accept it!!!it's hard...but u will get through this!!!!sumtimes I just wish I could take my own advice!!!WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS.....IT TAKES TIME!!!!I'm on celexa daily for my anxiety/depression....& atarax when needed for anxiety attacks!!!it's only been three weeks for me,so still waiting on it to help me more!!!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank u for the support. It's so hard it's like I'm in the awful cycle of doom. I just wanna feel normal again. I look at others and just wanna be pain and worry free for a little while. I think I know anxiety can do this but accepting this is a whole different story. And u are right the mind really does take over and I literally convince myself the doctors have it wrong. I have read so many stories about young women having heart attacks and doctors misdiagnosed them with anxiety which make me panic but how the hell do we stop this
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes I believe u are completely right but the doctors say they will not even consider it unless the cardioligist believe there is a heart issue of some sort. Unless of course u pay private
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Believe me diazepam does do great for regulating the heart and keeping it steady if given a chace. I did cut mine in half though.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up