health anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi folks. I feel strange typing this. I am 39 year old female. I smoke 20 cigarettes a day. I am in process of quitting. However I am now suffering very badly from health anxiety. Not the classic racing heart beat..but i am gone into overdrive. Please dont judge me, i am terrified of getting lung cancer, cancer, you name it. Mistly i an terrified of death/dying. It started about 4 months ago. Years ago aboyt 6 years ago i had mild health anxiety. I started taking lexapro. I feel extremely worn out now, stressed, scared, sick, down, i work for myself which can be stressful but I am going to try go back to the good old 9 to 5 job.smile has anyone had this sirt of anxiety and got over or at least tamed it. I know ibviously smoking gies not help but am on the road to quit. I really dont know what ir where i have gotten to this horrible place. Thank you all xx

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Just one small comment and I say this with all respect for your own health. Smoking can give you cancer and kill you, but it also can give you COPD and kill you slowly while you suffer every single day for lack of air.   Quit smoking today!  I was a smoker and at age 37 when I met my 2nd wife I decided to quit because she did not smoke and did not know I did. The first 6 months I missed smoking with my nice coffee, after that it stinks and made me sick just the smell of it.  Quit smoker, and your anxiety will go away as well. ;-)

• Posted

Helath anxiety is just a symptom of anxiety - its a form of it, it wont stop until the actual root anxiety is dealt with.  Meds can help in the short term, but longer term therapy is probably the best way to deal with anxiety. the health anxiety will be there for as long as the root anxiety unfortunatly.  Anxiety doesnt stop with quitting smoking unfortunatly, thats a very niave view
  • Posted

Hi there, i suffer from health anxiety and hare been really bad since before Christmas, every ache and pain sends my thoughts racing and I end up in a panic, my health is constantly on my mind, started taking cipralex 2.5 mg 2 weeks ago think I need to up them to 5mg, feeling a bit better though, hope you get sorted soon

• Posted

Hi dawnA. When you said health all day thinking..i really get you. I am glad your meds have calmed you a wee bit . Do you mind my asking your age. I think also the facylt ill be 40 next year!!!
    • Posted

Hi herbie I'm 53 and seem to be getting worse as I get older, all started when I was 42, took cipralex then and I felt OK, had anxiety on and off in between but now it is back with a vengeance
  • Posted

Hi Herbie

I have had this same fear which is completely overwhelming when it happens a few times in my life for a couple of months at a time, and then is disappears just as fast as it came.

I really sympathise because I know how awful it is, and you feel there is no way out, and you will always feel like that, but you wont.  I get quitw worried and depressed sometimes that I wont manage to complete particular achievements that I have set myself as 'must do' goals in my life.  I'm nearly 54, and in a bit of a rut and lacking in enthusiasm, even though I have alot of plans.  

When I get a health scare and the doctor sends me for tests I used to get really panicked. Thats happened quite a few times, and its all turned out fine.  The other day I got breathless and tight chested and back pain while on my exercise bike for just a few minutes. I went to the docs, thinking - Oh its just anemia come back again, but shes send me for a stress test ECG, although she thinks I'm probably fine.  This time I'm not panicking, I feel alot more in control of my feelings. If I have got a bit of a hear issue, then Ok, it can be treated and monitored.

My aunt has had angina for nearly forty years, and shes 91, and still annoying everyone.   

Just stop smoking and focus on being as healthy as you can, and the fear will subside.

• Posted

noone judges here, never worry. 

are you still on lexapro? it can make you very tired, but should releive you of anxiety. It doesnt stop you feeling nervous about your health and I hope you really do try to quit, so you can be healthy and feel better physically. Good luck, keep going... make this the year you quit!

• Posted

Hi Herbie!!! Just to let you know I have went through the exact same thing for five months now!!! All day thinking something was wrong with my heart!!! To the point it sent me into a panic attack of a heart rate of 190 BPM. Yes it is rough and I promise you there is light at the end of the tunnel. I too smoke and have for 11 years. I smoke roughly 40 cigarettes a day!!! Health anxiety is the worst in my opinion because you feel like you can't control it!!! But I must tell you!!! There is hope!!! I too had mild health anxiety 6 years ago!!! But I came out of it and about 3-4 months ago roughly the end of September the demons were back and stronger than before!!! Do you wanna know what helped me??? Other than confirmation from the doctors??? I prayed and prayed hard!!! It may sou d crazy but while praying I looked down and saw a dollar bill and on this dollar bill was the words in God we trust...mind you these words are circled on this dollar bill now. When I start thinking for one minute something might be wrong. I glance at that dollar bill and am instantly reminded of every word my doctors have told me. All of the times God showed me I already have my answers that it was anxiety all along!!!!
  • Posted

Herbie as soon as my other post comes out of moderation please read it!!!!
  • Posted

firstly i dont judge anyone.. and secondly well done for trying to quit smoke. its very brave. it is hard to quit something and i do hope you do it,, especially for yourself. i have social anxiety which was brought on from alcohol, and when i stopped drinking my mask dissapeared and got worse. so hopefully you will have some hobbies to partake in??? i like cross stitch which helps me with my anxiety. also im on citalopram and propranolol now, to stop the headaches. i never regret things now as it all helps in becomming who you are. im 29 ,nd 30 in sept, by september i want to be the fittest ive ever been!! hope u can quit smoking if it's something you really want to do -  go for it!! i wish u all the best xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.