Health anxiety

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all. I have health anxiety and it is literally ruining my life!! I am obsessed with checking every part of me to find changes and when I do find something it's intense fear and panic like impending doom. I can't remember the last time I woke up and felt like I wasn't unwell. I am on a counsellor waiting list just don't know what to do in the meantime. Anyone else suffer this bad? Please only genuine sufferers reply as this is embarrassing enough as it is. I have never told anyone about my real problems with fear of being ridiculed. Thanks

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Welcome to the world of Anxiety and what you are experiencing we can all pretty much relate to in one shape or another.

The only person that can help you here is you. If you know that your basic health is good - that will register in your mind. From there on its about putting perspective to the changes that you think you have just had.

So for example - one of the most terrifying effects from my perspective is the chest pain. As you basically end up telling yourself your heart will packup. Its awful and the fear with it spirals till you can pacify your mind that there is nothing wrong with your mind.

I genuinely beleive that the sub conscious mind plays a big part in Anxiety and that is something we cant control as it has a one way feedback mechanism to the conscious mind. Therefore you need to tell that part that you arent not ill...

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply. Yeah that's the funny part (if that's the right phrase). My health is very good. Never ever had any illnesses or anything wrong with me. Yeah the subconscious mind is an awful thing. I try and tell myself I am fine but unless I have total reassurance it's something else then I can't forget about whatever I'm worried about in that moment
  • Posted

Hi lorna.I too suffer with this dreadful illness. I worry I have cancer every single minute of the day. At the moment I think I have lymphoma. I feel sick, have little appetite and itch all over. These are all signs. I'm worried sick. If it's not this, it's another type of cancer. I'm obsessed with it and it takes over my life. I too look and feel my body every day and am frightened of every ache and pain I have and always link it to cancer. I know I have ocd regarding this as I also weigh myself continually every day, to see if I've lost weight, as this is a big cancer symptom. I honestly don't think I can live like this and constantly think about taking my life. The only thing that stops me from doing do is my beautiful daughter. But I'm sick of been frightened. I wish I could give you a hug. 😢😢xxx
    • Posted

Aw Lisa thanks so much for your reply. I appreciate you telling me your story and I really really feel for you. This has to be one of the worst things ever! It's constant fear. I don't even exercise in case I have a heart attack! Might sound silly to some which is why I can't talk to anyone about it. I am constantly unwell with something every single day it's ruining my life xxx
    • Posted

Lisa I couldn't have described myself ANY better than you just did.

This morning I had a panic attack, I was shaking so hard I could barely hold my phone to type. Wanna know why? After my shower I noticed 2 red spots on my foot. I've also been having pain in my left leg and arms. I read that those are symtoms of Leukemia and since I learned that I've noticed at least 7 red spots on my skin. So this morning I freaked out so bad my throat closed up and I couldn't even eat breakfast.

Since getting anxiety 5months ago I've felt I'm dying every single day. It's a terrible way to live. I've even been wearing long sleeves to stop myself from checking my body. The first thing I do when I wake up is check and I always find something and it always freak me out.

I plan to go do a blood test n I feel certain they will tell me I have Leukemia, why else would I have persistent pain in my arms and legs?

I also get head rushes, ringing in my ears,dizziness, itching,feeling like something is crawling on my skin and a ton of other anxiety symtoms. Yet somehow cancer is the only thing on my mind. Few days ago I learnt my sister is 6months pregnant and I immediately went into a panic thinking I won't live to meet the babysad

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel lorna. If I try to explain how I feel to people they just tell me not be stupid or laugh at me. I sometimes laugh with them, but inside I'm screaming for help. There's nothing worse than living in fear. It's good to know I'm not alone. Though I'm so sorry you have this dreadful illness too . Big hugs xxx
    • Posted

Aww nattalie you sound just like me. I've weighed myself 5 times today that's how obsessed I am. And I've lost 3 pound and I'm freaking out. I Google constantly over and over again.i too get tingling in my arms and legs and feel like something is crawling on my skin and I twitch as well. The thing that's freaking me out the most is Loss of appetite and feeling sick. My throat also closes up. But like you cancer is the only thing on my mind. I'd give anything to not live in fear. It's so easy to say to you that I know you will live to see your sisters baby, but yet I can't ease my own fears. I'm sending loads of love to you and big hugs and it's great been an auntie. You've got loads to look forward too😊xx
    • Posted

I'm really excited about being an aunt, there are only 2of us as siblings n neither of us have kids.

I was always a healthy person who worked out and laughed alot. Now I sit curled up in a ball of constant and excessive worry.

We sound exactly alike except I get a lot of body aches and pains. The fear is crippling and I'm always thinking I'm dying. This has been happening since January and I'm still alive so I'm trying to take comfort in that.

• Posted

I too get lots of aches and pains, in fact there is always something wrong with me. And yes we do sound exactly alike. Your right you have lots to be excited about. If you ever need to talk to anyone just private message me. Xxx
    • Posted

i feel the exact same way.  Started in March with a bad cold, finally started getting over that then had pains in my ribs thorugh my chest, dr said inflammation, then started coughing again and had allergie testing done, turns out allergic to my cat that i've had 3 years.  finally get coughin under control and the inflammation is getting the best of me, had ecgs, chest xrays, blood work all came back clear.  The entire time i was thinking i had cancer of some sort, bone, lung, you name i thought i had it.  Now that im getting the inflammation under control, i think anyway, my lowest ribs are quite tender to touch and my abdomen has been feelign weird like a tight shirt or band around it with pins and needles.  Now i'm scared that i have cancer somewhere in my abdomen or pancrease.  I've also been having issues with my back due to poor posture from a desk job, and of course with this abdomen feeling i have experienced back pain which once again makes my mind run. thankfully the back pain is not constant and when i get anxious it is at it's worst.  not sure if thats relieving to know or not, as far as my abdomen it doesn't wake me up at night and if i'm busy doing something i dont notice it.
  • Posted

Hi Lorna, I know how you feel - at almost 50 I have experienced health anxiety almost all my life - I am currently on holiday and all week I have been panicking about having malignant melanoma - it's ruined my week and I spend all my time checking symptoms and having very dark thoughts... I won't ever live to see my grandchildren, I will die a slow and lingering death - I have wasted so many years, wasted so many holidays, wasted so much time - we probably need to focus on treating the anxiety rather than finding life threatening symptoms - YOU ARE FINE - try to believe it 👍🏻😊
    • Posted

Hi niki I'm 48 and started suffering with anxiety and panic attacks in my 20s. I've been suffering with ocd and health anxiety for the last few years and it ruins my life. Outwardly people think I'm the life and soul of the party,;but it's all just a front. Inside I'm dying. I constantly worry I have cancer and Google over and over again. It's like I'm obsessed. I weigh myself up to 10 times a day to see if I've lost weight. At the moment I have no appetite and have lost 3 pound. I'm freaking out. I really feel I'd be better off dead. I would give anything for peace of mind. Big hugs xx
  • Posted

lorna this is a horrible condition the monster anxiety but you must battle on dont give in to anxiety im 46 and had anxiety since childhood start to journal and and learn about your condition it takes the power away the more you focus on symptoms the more anxiety tightens its grip anxiety is you but start to find your self how ever anxious you feel stick to the plans you have for that day start reading i reccomend my age of anxiety by scott stossel i know you can do this power is knowledge anxiety no power its like a gun with no bullets you feed it bullets it s powerful no bullets its useless martinxx
    • Posted

Hi Martin. Yeah I didn't think of it like that before. Makes sense! Thanks for your reply x
  • Posted

How is everyone feeling this morning x
    • Posted

Morning Lorna, I just woke up and as usual I mentally scan my body to see what's hurting. I haven't even gotten out of the bed yet lol but I'm flexing fingers n toes and arms. My jaw feels abit funny so I know I was clenching my teeth while sleeping.

I'm hoping today will be a pain free, no health anxiety day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.