Health Anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all , I have suffered from anxiety for about 16 years on and off but have been particularly the past 8 weeks as well as all the normal symptoms of anxiety I also have depersonalisation .

I can't stop focusing on my heart at the moment i always have a fairly high resting heart rate of about 90 but since my anxiety has been bad it's between 100 -110 . This really scares me as I am scared to walk around and do anything as it will increase even more .. when I was in the Dr's this morning it was 137 and she said it was fine because I was anxious but to me it's not and really worries me I spend all day thinking about it .. She has put me on propananol which does slow it a bit but Istill really worry I had an ECG a few weeks ago and have had an cheat x ray in the past . a anyone help me

thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hiya, have you tried a antidepressant it might help you with your thoughts about your heart! I know that it's scary because I to suffer with it, but honestly you will be fine! The more you focus on your heart the more it's gonna beat fast! I know this is extremley hard but try and distract yourself in anyway, maybe find a hobbie? The depersonlisation is there because of all the worry you have atm, it's only trying to protect you. Once you find ways to distract yourself you will feel much better! Here if you need to talk! X

• Posted

Thank you very much for replying .. I am on venlafaxine 150mg I just don't know how to control it even when I try and think of other things at the back of my mind I am always thinking about my heart or my head as I am convinced have something horrible Wrong with that too . It has taken over my life I have been off work for just over 2 months now x

• Posted

Your blood pressure at 137 if young is a little high although it is fine if you consider you were visiting a Doctor with anxiety, I will take your birthdate as 1964 so you will be in your mid fifties, if this is the case it seems to be ok, even if younger the reading can be ok.

I am sixty six and my blood pressure was 143/90 so they put me on Statins. My blood ressure readings dropped to 128/83 so everyone is happy. Statins are sometimes given to patients in their mid fifties, in the past it was when we retired at sixty five. I have been on this medication for 10 years and I had a six month rest for various tests. So you could ask your GP if you are unsettled. Although again I would feel all seems not to bad. What I would actually suggest is if you attend the Surgery to see your GP or Nurse for blood ressure tests try and get there about 15/20 mins before you go in, you will hopefully be more relaxed when you go in

B.

• Posted

Thank you.. Sorry my BP to start with was 132/82 it was my pulse that was 137 .. x
    • Posted

Nothing to worry about 132/82 is fine, pulse rate a little high, still very ok. You must suffer White Coat syndrom when you attend Surgery, just like me

Please do not worry

B.

• Posted

I am just not coping to well at the moment convinced I have something wrong with my heart and head x
    • Posted

No your heart seems fine I think your GP thinks the same, trust your GP He is in partnership with you when dealing with your health concerns

Keep a hold

B.

• Posted

Your head is just anxiety, if you need that reassurence talk again to your GP.

If you are given tests to put your mind at rest accept the results and relax

Always around

B.

• Posted

what I really want is to be referred to a cardiologist and a neurologist so I can get both my head and heart tested x
    • Posted

Only your GP can make that referral.

I had a brain Scan arlier this year and that was because I was developing a condition that was conjenital, they thought it was Dementia and had to prove it was my Short Term Memory. That was proven although they knew before the test, caused and aggrivated with Opiates.

When you get to retirement they will check the heart in the practice, not in hospital, this was done because of age and the fact I had changed Practice. I accept their results fully. I would advise you do the same if the tests are given

B

B.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.