Health anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm a new to this just going through some issues in my life first and foremost my big one at the moment is health anxiety it all started when I went to my GP and found out I had high blood pressure normally I'd get my meds and go abought my business but this time I kept thinking and thinking and looking at all my symptoms got scared and went back to my GP he said give ur meds time to work so I did still no change than I started to get new aches and pains went back to my GP he gave me some pain pills and anxiety meds told me to not to stress and get plenty of sleep took his advice and yet another trip back to my GP now I find no were to turn as my anxiety has gotten worse anything from heart failure to cancer has gone through my mind I do t feel like I use to I'm so worried with every new pain or body change I'm thinking the worst it started to affect my marriage and my family I can't even enjoy the things that make me happy with out thinking I have a terminal illness please help me to deal with this and what I need to do to get back to living a Happy normal life again thank you in advance

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I also have health anxiety and a fear of dying. I started reading some self helps books and it says don't be afraid of your thoughts . That's all they are . They are not always facts . It does not take over night it is something you have to work on every day. Retrain your brain to live in the moment and desensitize ur nerves

• Posted

Thank you for your response so how do you deal with it what do you do on a day to day basis so mm e days are good and others are like I can't deal with it

• Posted

Honestly it's not easy but as you can see you are not alone . What I have been doing honestly is saying ... What is the worst that can happen ? Death? I don't think so! So every morning when I get I say yes I have anxiety and I can live with it. I can make it my friend instead of my enemy. I will let it ride on the my bus with me but I will not let it drive the bus. I know it seems Hard and it is in the beginning . It will still be a bully in the beginning and say no don't do that or hurry go to the er or dr and let it say that. The second fear is what gets you and is what keeps us in the circle . So once it's starts talking to you just keep saying ok thank you for that thought but I will keep it to the side . No need to even get into conversation with it. Just thank it for being an alarm in ur body , just keep hitting the snooze button until after practice you will no longer obsess over the thoughts . Also stop fighting anxiety. It never helped us or we would not have it. Identify you scary thoughts as anxiety and no real.

• Posted

An yes you will have good days and bad , don't stop pushing don't avoid and keep going. Don't lose hope give yourself a break some times . Your nerves and mind are tired and only you can relax them. Don't run from them face them and allow them to come . They are only thoughts ! We have thousands of thoughts a day , why concentrate on only the bad and scary ones? So each thought you have that is scary just except it and then say thanks for that and don't try not to think about it because that is not possible, you must stop the second fear from happening .

• Posted

That sounds like a plan I never thought I would be like this I've always soloved my problems it's scarry sometimes I'm more afraid of dying if anything else I always see commercials abought heart diease and cancer it's like a constant reminder I've come to the point we're I don't want to watch TV or here the radio any more

• Posted

Why not live and try and enjoy the present moment. Everyone has some fear of the unknown . Nothing is certain. We have to learn to live comfortably with uncertainty . And yes we change doesn't matter how u were one year ago or whatever , this is what's going on now and you will eventually work on getting threw this as well !

• Posted

I try with the help of my therapist but for some reason I my fear always it's lIke whe n you drink and ur problems go away for a while then there right back at you the hardest part is the train of thought

• Posted

Sorry your going thru this I suffer the same ☹️
    • Posted

So what is your health fear mine in heart diease or that dreaded c word I can't even spell it it shakes me up so bad how do you get through day without feeling overwelmed are you taking any type of medication or cut therapy

• Posted

Hi Adrian.  I think it would be a good idea first to take care of Your blood presure . When it's under control , for sure You will start feeling better too . Make this a priority .

With anxiety it's every day struggle . Just set your mind that's only anxiety , nothing else ! That you are not dying . 

I hope it will give some comfort , that you are not alone ! 

We all here to support each other . X Donna 

• Posted

Thank for the comfort boost and I'm on medication for my BP sometimes I wonder if it's working or not I asked my gp and he says I'm doing OK it's just all the aches and pains I'm going through so fustrasting at times I know it's a long road

• Posted

Is it possible you could have white coat syndrome?.Yes there is such a thing. Some people only have actual high blood pressure when going to the doctor.
    • Posted

Yes this crossed my mind too. My mom has this every time she goes to docs her BP shoots up even if she feels calm. She got herself a BP monitor and does it occasionally at home and it is perfectly fine. The pharmacist did it for her a couple of times too just because she was concerned and perfectly fine there as well. Just not at docs!!!
    • Posted

I don't get nervous when I go see my GP and I look forward to seeing to out my mind at ease high blood pressure I ck no no at least 3 times a day and with medications my numbers are the same I check my body before I go see my GP and record my number. It's verys slightly but not by much my attacks happen wen I noticed a pain or I have and try to treat it or if ur reaccours again

• Posted

I don't get nervous when I see my GP I checked my BP before I head out to my GP the number veries but not enough to cause a alarm it's like my GP is my stress reliever my attack hapins wen I'm alone or when I discover a pain I had for a few days or a new pain than my mind races

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.