health anxiety advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello smile I'm a newbie at this. I had posted on a site before and was basically treated like a crazy person which is sad. I have pretty bad health anxiety. I think I have cancer all of the time. Life was normal with no worries before. Then on 12-11-13 a close young friend died of colon cancer. That's when my switch went off. It gets better then comes back. I've been to a normal GP who took blood work told me I'm fine and basically said he couldn't help me. I have an appt on Jan 6 with a psychiatrist.  I'd like to go back on Klonopin.  Before my GP told me I was crazy pretty much he gave me a month of Klonopin and it helped. I didn't have to take it everyday even. Only when I felt that intense fear come upon me and my heart start racing. Then my GP told me he can get in trouble if he continues me on the medication.  Is this true?, I just need something to calm down when my mind goes. Maybe there's a breathing exercise instead of medication? I'm open to anything.  Panic attacks make the health anxiety worse bc during a panic attack I start panicking more bc I can't breathe. If I take a Klonopin it helps bring me back to normal. Any advice is appreciated. 

0 likes, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

I take ativan as needed and my doc has been giving it to me since sept. Its addictive but used correctly it don't hurt you.. Klonopin is similar to ativan.. The way I look at it is if it helps then why not prescribe it....
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I agree with you completely. If it helps why not prescribe it?  I know it can be addicting bc of the relaxing feelings but having anxiety attacks are so horrible.  And it's my only hope to even feel remotely normal again. I think my doctor just thought I was an addict or something instead of someone with a real problem, I'm hoping an actual psychiatrist will see me differently. Thanks for your reply!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

For the long term therapy should be something suggested to you. Medication can help with symptoms of general and health anxiety,but it cannot resolve issues long term. Ask about therapy, it really will help longer term
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

i'm in my 3rd session of CBT for my health anxiety. My problem is with my throat mainly. Keep feeling mucus etc and feels like there's something there i can't swallow. Also lose my voice alot from throat clearing and stuff. There's nothing wrong with my throat at all but it's come to the point where ive trained my brain to think their is. I thought i had throat cancer/esophageal cancer/lung cancer/ stomach cancer you name it. I've had blood tests, scopes but down throat and stomach and been to A&E begging for them to see me multiple times. Trust me i know how horrible this is and as i type this is feel anxious. I feel it all the time like this could be my last breathe. Stupid eh! But we will grow out of it and with the support of friends and family you will. Feel free to message me anytime and get well soon x
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The lump in the throat is so very common, and god it's awful I know. It plagues me from time to take me, sometimes constantly for weeks or months. Your throat muscles contract with anxiety, and if you then focus on it, it becomes a real problem. Its very normal and isn't dangerous. It does pass when the anxiety is less
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

yeah. Still makes me cough and throat clear all the time though. Constant throat infections and choking episodes. Taken over my life entirely. Anxiety cost me my job in a decent company in london. I had to move back home to feel less anxious etc. It's not nice in any way and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Shame home misunderstood it is by those who are non sufferers. The misunderstanding makes it worse for those who do suffer as you feel like ou have nobody to turn to. Still we'll all beat it.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

well it's early days for me to say if i have benefitted from it or not. They explain they see patients all the time with the same sort of things and confort you as best as possible. They try and pinpoint the triggers of how the anxiety begins. I first of all said that i didnt know etc. But after talking about it for a while i began to notice paterns in my behaviour and realised that certain things i do make it worse and better. It's all about confronting the bad times head on and fighting through them. So everytime i have an axious episode now, i pursue it. I hate it don't get me wrong and it is a struggle especially when all i want to do is going back to my room which i find as my cofort zone. But they teach you on how to address these situations and how to conquer them. I hope it works for you!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I Kristal....

My name is Peggy. I do suffer from anxiety. It feels horriable.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you all for your feedback. Its been a rough year for sure. I had it so bad at first I was hyper ventilating all day every day. Then the doctor informed me I had 100% oxygen level in my lungs and it was all in my head that I couldn't breathe. And he was right. As soon as he told me that I could breathe again However it does still occur when I send myself into a panic.  I tried Citroplam. Too many side effects.  I had night sweats so then I thought I had lymphoma.  Then Effexor gave me muscle aches so I had MS. I just want to be myself again. Is that even possible?  I even made myself gain like 15 lbs rapidly bc if I could gain weight then I didn't have cancer. Silly but true and now I'm depressed even more cuz of my weight ugh!
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up