Health anxiety and depression causing illness?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm 36 and have had health anxiety (mainly around cancer) for as long as I can remember after seeing various family members die of it and helping my friend through one of her friends dying of it at 32. I'm literally convinced I'm going to be diagnosed with it and leave behind my partner and 8 mth old daughter.

So very recently things have turned for the worse for me mentally. I went to GP as had painful swallowing and throat hurt to touch down by thyroid for couple of weeks. Everything from thyroid cancer to hodgkins lymphoma went through my mind. GP said she thought it was viral as some lymph nodes were also swollen. I have since been back 4 times in the last 2 weeks and they keep saying I don't have cancer however they have run no tests on me so how can they know? I am also experiencing extreme tiredness and lethargy and have lost nearly a stone from loss of appetite. I'm now under 9 stone which I've never been. All of this points to Cancer to me and I started having thoughts about ending my life this week because I just can't carry on feeling so ill and worrying about it all the time. I feel like doctors now dismiss my concerns because they know about my anxiety. I'm paying for a 2nd opinion at a private hospital tomorrow because my life is just so miserable at the moment. I try really hard to be ok around my daughter but I just end up crying all the time. Can anyone tell me if this is all anxiety or if I really should be worried? Thank you for listening.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Your not alone!!!!  Believe it or not I was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago, of the eye! What did it mean to me? Nothing! Had all the biopsys, operations, didn't mean anything to me. Pain of the mind has to be the worst kind. I'v been on the edge of suicide, calm, collective rationale. Wanting to go! Had enough! But I'm 67! Not 36! You should be full of life, interests. Anyway it's the cowards way out! Come on stay with it! For our DAUGHTERS! 

• Posted

Hi Frederick, thank you for taking time to respond. I honestly think anyone diagnosed with that terrible disease is very brave and I take my hat off to you coping like that. I'm just a complete mess even before diagnosis. Your right, I should be full of life but my mind doesn't allow me to be. I want to enjoy my life with my daughter and partner but right now all I can think about is what's wrong with me. It's debilitating. All I want is to be me again, 2 months ago. Just seems to me that the older you get, the harder life becomes. It sucks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.