health anxiety back with a blast

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had aniexty for about 8 years got it under control. However about a week ago I was at the dentist about to get my wisdom teeth removed and I passed out I dunno why and then when I came round I had a full blown panic attack. Since then I'm a wreck I keep thinking it's my heart. I keep getting extremly hungry out of no where which causes me to feel light headed. Does anyone else have this

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What a ride! I would go for blood tests, FBC, check your blood sugar levels and your iron etc. I would also check your blood pressure and heart. You may have passed out due to anesthetic, which by design may cause rapid change in blood supply to some nerves or may have entered the blood stream and caused a larger constriction somewhere. However, this alone would not leave you with remaining syptoms you are describing, i.e. sudden hunger and light headedness. I would check the above before throwing it down to anxiety. Your 'relapse' in anxiety may be a natural situational one and pass once you have yourself checked out. You most likely reacted to adrenalin as described. But the above really need to be checked anyway.

• Posted

i was referring to adrenalin in the local anesthesia btw. helps restrict blood flow at the site of the nerve causing a loner numbing effect of whatever anesthetic is used. Infrequently upon administration the needle may puncture a blood vessel sending adrenalin elsewhere where it was not meant to go. Some people get extreme tachycardiaa when this occurs, some pass out and some get electric shock intensity panic attacks smile This is nothing to worry about but something to be aware of in case you have any heart problems. Very unpleasent though. However the hunger and weakness now should not haave anything to do with it. This is why i am thinking a combination of things happenned and best to go to a doctor for tests to be safe.

• Posted

I've been to the doctors he's prescribed me propranolol and to change my antidepressants which I need to slowly come off and go on the new ones. The doctor said there wouldn't be a point in checking my bp as I was very anxious in the docs so it would be high. He wants me to stabilise my aniexty then do tests. I'm 27 I'm not really over weight I do alot of walking with my job which I'm off sick now. Logically I really don't think it's my heart. As as soon as he stuck the needle in to administer the sedative I instantly felt sick and passed out. Then when I came round I went into complete panic mode where my chest killing etc and blacked out but only momentarily. I did work nights the day of my op and only had 2 hours sleep plus didn't eat nothing.

• Posted

ok. have you ever had any other dental work done that involved anesthesia injections? adrenalin constriction happens before the needle is even out. However with what you have added now, lack of sleep and empty stomach, whatever the cause (regular anxiety or reaction to adrenalin) it doesn't make much difference. I would have ordered blood tests if you haven't had them for a while anyway. I am assuming the doctor you went to is a psychiatrist. If GP however, he is inexcusable not ordering a blood test. Even a psychiatrist could and should ask for bloodwork with any such episodes. Hope you feel better on the new meds. Perhaps the hunger is due to tapering off the old meds and starting the new ones? You will know soon enough. It doesn't sound like anything to be too concerned over indeed. Just frustrating i am sure. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.