Health anxiety eating me alive - been referred by GP for more tests

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had health anxiety since i was in my 20s but it got a lot better and then peaked again after i had my son 2 years ago

In the past year, ive been constantly exhausted, not feeling myself, not feeling hungry and losing weight. I also noticed two very localised points in my abdomen that are very painful when pressing. Ive seen many doctors and have had endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound and abdominal MRI done and tbey have all come back normal

I saw my GP today again and he referred me to do chest xray, stool test and blood test to "rule out cancer" and said hed refer me to gastro enterology. I dont know what i was expecting but this has massively triggered my anxiety im completley losing it.

I feel like Im waiting for bad news and that obviously all these things wouldnt be happening if something wasnt wrong. Part of me is able to rationalise that hes just being careful and taking my cues but another part thinks something serious is going on and im not going to get to see my son grow up

Im in tears tonight and absolutely petrified. All these tests will likely take place over the next weeks so its going to be a very anxious time. I honestly dont know how to deal with it its so consuming

Do those with health anxiety relate? Can anxiety really cause lack of appetite, weight loss, exhaustion? I cant tell anxiety apart from real stmptoms anymore...

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Charlie I am really sorry you’re going through this stressful time. I’m sure it must be very difficult for you

Charlie I am really sorry you’re going through this stressful time. I’m sure it must be very difficult for you.

But I really hate it when doctors bring up cancer when there’s no evidence of it. you’ve had the endoscopy and colonoscopy and those were normal. Doctors really need to just order certain test without already suggesting a bad diagnosis. That is very unprofessional. That happened when I took my grandson to the doctors because his lower back was really painful and bothering him for a while. The pediatrician said right in front of him and me that it sounds like a tumor that is probably malignant.! I couldn’t believe she said that without even doing tests first. it ended up just being a very badly pulled muscle. We went through all that stress for nothing!

and A doctor wants told my sister she probably has cancer. All her testing was normal and she didn’t have it. unbelievable.

So try to relax a little bit about this. doctors have to cover their butts so they order tests to say that they were done.

and yes, anxiety can cause hundreds of different symptoms. exhaustion, tiredness, lack of appetite, which would lead to weight loss. Remember, 99% of everything we worry about never happens. Also anxiety can create negative scary and fearful thoughts which are not really based on fact or reality. try not to follow the negative thoughts.

i really would think that if something was wrong, the endoscopy and colonoscopy would’ve picked it up. There are so many other non-serious conditions that could cause your symptoms. Hope this helps a little. ❤

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You are right I should be so relieved that all these tests haven't shown anything but I can't help thinking that maybe the ones I have not yet done will be the ones showing problems.

To be fair to the doctor he said it was 'unlikely' to be cancer but he wanted to rule it out to be on the safe side. It still triggered my anxiety massively of course as all my brain registered now is 'cancer'. I'm so sorry you went through this with your son and sister, it sounds aweful i'd have been a mess.

I'm having the x-ray today and trying to get the other tests done soon. I'm trying to calm myself down but feeling on the verge of tears all day long just convinced something bad is going to turn up. I appreciate you taking the time to message, its a good reminder that 99% of what we worry about never happens and i've been there in the past and all went well. It's just hard to do in practice isn't it!

• Edited

Not only can I relate, I could have written the post myself, word for word, except that I have a daughter and not a son.

Health anxiety so often comes on when we have children, it's all those hormones plus the fear if something happening to us and them being left without a Mum, it's terrifying.

All the symptoms you have can most definitely be brought on by anxiety.

I recommend you get help for your anxiety rather than more a more tests for your physical health.

My daughter is 12 and I have wasted so much time petrified of illnesses I didn't have. Maybe one day will be the day when I do have one, but if so, it's out of my control (other than leading a healthy lifestyle).

Please don't make the same mistake as myself and next time you go to the doctor explain about your anxiety.

Wishing you all the best x

• Edited

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. If you don't mind me asking, when did you have your health anxiety and for how long? It seems like you are doing better with it now? Or do you still regularly worry about it?

I'm exercising, eating healthy and have been doing therapy weekly with a psychotherapist but i am still struggling with it. The GP has prescribed Sertraline but i've not taken it as we are trying for another baby so it's not a good time to get on it. I just don't know what to do anymore and feel constantly torn between "this is my anxiety" vs "this is instinct and something might be wrong I need to act on it"

I know the doctor has prescribed all his tests because I came to him with my concerns and he wants to be thorough but it's massively triggered me as it's validated my symptoms in a sense and now i'm like "oh no this isn't all in my head then, its real". Anyways thanks for listening and replying!

• Edited

Unfortunately I still deal with it and it makes my life absolutely miserable, that's why I recommended that you get help sooner rather than later.

What you said about being torn between "this is my anxiety" vs. "needing to act on it" are my thoughts every minute of every day.

I have so many real physical symptoms that I am past anybody convincing me that there is nothing wrong.

Every day I say to myself " it must be anxiety, there isn't a single illness with all these symptoms". Then I get some horrible symptom and I think "this just can't be anxiety, it's impossible" then I think "well if I have got something wrong with me I can't do anything about it, just enjoy the time you have" but I feel so ill that I can't even do that.

It is mental and physical hell. I wish I had got help sooner.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, I'm just explaining it how it is.

I hope you will feel better soon x

• Edited

No it's helpful for me to see others stuck in the same loophole. And you say you've been feeling this way for years?

I do take comfort in that (no offence) because I often think "if I feel that bad, it must be bad, it cant be in my head" but my mum had health anxiety and spent 2 years thinking she was dying and yet here she is 10 years later still alive and well. So stories like this help me rationalise that yes, you can feel that bad and have a "bad feeling" and be totally wrong.

Are you getting some help now? What has been successful for you? I'm doing therapy with a mix of talking therapy, EMDR and CBT but so far it's still not moving the needle, i've been at it for nearly 3 months now. I do CBT self help sheets etc but when i'm really anxious it doesn't help. I don't really know what else apart from medications but I can't take them while trying to conceive.

Anyways i'm so sorry it's ruined so many years of your life. It has certainly ruined the last year and a half for me and i'm so so tired of it but yet can't help thinking there is another reason for me feeling that way.

Today in therapy i realised that maybe part of the reason why i'm trying to find a physical reason for my problems is because i don't want to admit it's all in my head and that my anxiety is that bad. If there was a physical cause it would justify all the past months/years I have spent being tired, in pain and scared. Although of course I don't want anything to be found either because I am terrified of facing my own death.

• Edited

Aah EMDR has been recommended to me but I'm a bit fed up of spending money (that I can't spare) on things that don't really seem go help me that much tbh.

In my case, I have to say that the thing that has helped me the most has been exercise. But now unfortunately, due to some real medical issues, I can't exercise until the cardiologist gives me the ok, and he has to run some tests for that.

I'm now very much in a loop because I have loads of symptoms. I really try not to Google but I do come on these kind of forums to help me calm down.

I'm also terrified about my own death, maybe a little less so as I get older.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about the symptoms, hope you get out of tbis tough patch soon. It does help me to see others go through the same panic as i do as it helps me see it is health anxiety. Its so much easier to recognize on others when its you you always have a voice saying - what if im right this time. Hopefully you can get the all clear soon!

• Edited

Hello Charlie,

I am so sorry that you are going through this - I have been there and it is so, so difficult. It's all consuming and there's no relief. My humble words of wisdom are definately walking or running every day, listen to the radio, have music playing, sing, keep as active as possible so those dark thoughts don't flare up. I also know that this is easier said than done and once in that tearful, petrified state - it is a case of taking it hour by hour.

Fingers crossed you are feeling better soon, it is so hard so make sure you embrace that fact too - let it wash over you and then carry on.

sending love xxx

• Posted

Thanks Kate, trying to keep busy today but it's day 3 of panicking i hate it! Glad to hear you have found a way to keep it at bay, it gives me hope to see people who have managed to battle health anxiety

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.