Health Anxiety getting out of control

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I am a 29year old male...seemingly on the wrong end of chronic health anxiety and still trying to get myself together. over 2 months ago, I experienced a bad bacterial infection, after which I started suffering from anxiety and my IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)...I went to the doctors, ran blood tests and everything came back great...doctors words "There is nothing in the blood work at all to show anything wrong, everything is how it should be".....however, its been 6 weeks and I am still convinced somehow, that my symptoms which have already been confirmed as IBS and chronic anxiety are something more sinister. So I have a booked doctors appointment for tomorrow morning in hope I can get some more assurance....I am at the point now where I need to move on and start trying something....

I tend to have nausea (never being sick or close to being sick) but the feeling....along with stomach discomfort and lots of gas....all common things with IBS....and also anxiety....

However, I need some advice guys....I am trying to be positive...doing Tai Chi, doing meditation, possitive affirmations etc....its causing a strain on my relationship and I need to accept that I AM OK!....I dont have cancer...or another terminal disease....because I have to trust that the doctor knows what she is doing and would see something in my blood to require further tests....

Anyone have any tips or advice about how to accept a diagnosis of good health when suffering from health anxiety??? I feel like I am going crazy day by day.....and I spend several hours a day, in my head thinking everything over and over...

I need advice...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do u take any meds. The only way is to except ur OK I know this is very hard to do but u must believe ur doctor 
    • Posted

g75183, Rachel is right you need som Med's short term to help you control symptoms and maybe some counselling and CBT to help turn these thought around.

I will pm you a web link to that may help. I am not sure where you are thou so there maybe something more local to you

• Posted

I'm on meds and still not good sad I hate it I feel crazy 
  • Posted

Hi , I hve suffered from health anxiety flare ups for over 20 years and it has come again this year. During my last bad attack I was on meds for 8 months and that helped to get me back together again after CBT failed. This time round I'm trying to exercise as much as possible, keep positive and try not too focus on the negative thoughts - hard I know. An understanding doctor helps and the reason the CBT failed last time was because I could not accept that there was nothing wrong, even with the physical symptoms. I'm considering get more professional help this time round, it may help you as well. Mental Health services on the NHS can be hit and miss, but speak to your GP as they maybe able to help.

Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.