Health anxiety Google cancer

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I've always worried about my health and it started after watching embarrassing boddies a few years ago and I got convinced I had cancer "after finding a lump on my balls" went to the walk in centre and turned out to be a normal lump, so next one was a year or so later with migraines thinking it was a brain tumour I was given some medication and they went within a few weeks. Now everything has started again!! I had recurring mouth ulcers and I googled it and guess what!? It said cancer, it cleared up then I got a hard lump on my cheek inside googled it... cancer of the month... it cleared up and I said to myself I really need to stop worrying!! This was about 5 months ago and now I was just feeling my neck and I felt a lump under my jaw line not even that big and I've always had one since I was 10 but in a different place, so then I've googled it and it's said lymphoma ect, ect but I have no symptoms I wouldn't of even noticed it I wasn't checking myself (this was about 3 months ago) and I feel fine except anxiety, so i was then touching in my groin area looking for and then I go and find some and now I'm just panicking. I do have mental health along with bpd, Anxiety, depression ect. Its just horrible when Google tells you that its cancer, HIV ect. Just looking for reasurance really.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

As we all know getting reassurance from a doctor is always the first and best step.

But I understand you sir, I'm currently facing a similar dilemma. Trying hard not to Google because I already know Dr Google will tell me I have cancer. I've already convinced myself I have at least 6 dfrnt types for the past 4months. I tell myself I'd be real sick or dead by now if I did have 6cancers.

When my anxiety is high like it is now I get aches&pains mainly in my joints&muscles. Right now I get pulsing or rushing in my ears, my neck and jaw feels funny. It doesn't hurt,just feels uncomfortable like something is in my ear.

Also I've been itching and a few tiny bumps pop up, just a few. But I am new to the states n there's a lot of pollen so I'm thinking that has something to do with it. Also I'm once again feeling weird pain in random places. I discovered that one of my toenails basically lifted/tore off and I don't remember hitting it anywhere bcuz it doesn't hurt. So that's freaking me out, as well as the itching n pain. I'm in full on fret mode and I'm real depressed too. I have GAD and Depression by the way.

• Posted

Yeah Google isn't the best place for advice is it, Least I'm not the only one who worry's about life threatening conditions and then diagnosing from google. I just hate to waste the drs time because in my head I know I'm fine an I tell myself that but I don't listen to anything . Hope you're ok though!
    • Posted

I get ear issues. I cant stand them. The pollen counts are extremly high where i am as well. I also have tmj which is most likely the culprit. 
  • Posted

its hard not to google symptoms i dont no more ive had gad for 30 years and had most symptoms but guys we must be strong and try not to let anxiety rule us ive had some crazy stuff over the years like convincing myself i cant walk i cant eat i just laugh at them now but some times my anxiety trys to kick my ass but stay strong all of us martin
    • Posted

That's alls it is isn't it, just anxiety getting to us! I don't know why I let it rule my life so much. I start my therapy again on Tuesday so hopefully I can try and get over my anxietys!
  • Posted

Google is an anxiety sufferers worst enemy, so stop using it. See a Dr and get treatment for anxiety, not for the imagined health issues. That's just what health anxiety is, stop feeding it with Google, as the anxiety is dealt with, the rest will follow
    • Posted

I'm getting treatment atm for my bpd so I will talk to my therapist next time about my health worries and see what she says about it all and where I go from here because it's starting to ruin my life.
    • Posted

Hi Sam I'm also having issues with healthy anxiety mine has been my throat feeling dry and issues in my neck and feeling like I'm straining to talk sometimes I looked it up and Google says I have throat cancer now this subject touches home for me because I lost my mom to the same exact cancer two years ago so now I'm freaking out over this I have an appointment on wensday and in the mean time I'm stressing out so baf and crying all day with worry . I been to the er days ago the dr said I had an upper respiratory infection swollen lyms and sinusitis and since I'm done taking my antibiotics I thought this would be gone but the feeling in my neck and throat is still there and im going crazy I have no one to talk to to help me with this I'm seriously lost in my health worrying anxiety any help would be appreciated thanks

• Posted

Google is a worst enemy to someone with health anxiety, if you are genuinely concerned go see your dr, I used to use symptom checker everyday, convinced myself I wouldn't survive the week but slowly I have weaned myself off it, good luck x
  • Posted

Hi sam. You need to stop watching the embarrassing bodies. If you suffer from anxieties like i do you should not watch those things. Also you should not look things up on the computer either thats what makes me have my health anxieties because i was searching on the computer about every thing. 

A friend told me to stop and i did i do not look up anything. 

Live life have fun do not worry about cancer or heart problems go out do not take life for granted you only have one life live it.

Do something for yourself or get your mind off yourself and help others in need this is what i have learned in DBT and anxiety management distract yourself and think in a positive way not a negative way. 

Elizabeth

• Posted

I know I try and avoid programmes that mention cancer or any other serious problems, But I know Google is the worst place for advice especially on health websites but I've been ok today with not googling symptoms. I keep prodding at my groin feeling the bumps and thinking the worst but it's ovbious not serious as I would have other symptoms so i just need to relax, I don't know why I go looking for p

roblems tbh bc I get worked up.

• Posted

Google is garbage. Its only certain sites that are evn accurate and you would ned medical background to understand them. The site used by physicians are locked out to the public. Anxiety links to every single ailment out there so you are totally wasting your time. You will however drive yourself insane once you have decieded in a chosen disease to focus on. When in doubt go the doctor. Its so much easier then amount of time youll out in worrying.
    • Posted

I realise that but I still Google "symptoms" its only been bad these past 5months! I just wish I could stop worrying all the time. but it's easier said than done. I'll speak with my therapist about maybe going back on medication as I keep taking myself off of my anti depressants thinking im fine when I'm really not. And with this anxiety that has somehow worsened over the past weeks I'll deffinitly need to go on something as I can't live with all this worry.
    • Posted

Yes it sucks. And i can fully relate and understand how all these anxiety symptoms makes a person want answers.chronic weird symptoms and pain takes a tole. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.