Health Anxiety Has Ruined My Life

Posted , 4 users are following.

Almost a year ago I had an unprotected one night stand and since that day I have had horrific anxiety. It triggered something within me that has just destroyed my mental health. 

I did actually get some concerning symptoms, like peeling skin on inner lip, itchy vagina, flu symptoms, and this was enough to send me into absolute terror. 

From January until May I truly believed I was pregnant, taking pregnancy tests multiple times a week and having panic attacks in the night imagining how I was going to tell my parents even though I was 19 years old and at university. 

I then moved my anxiety onto HIV and it is without a doubt the worst thing I've ever done. I went to the doctors about 4 months after my exposure and was tested for STD's but I didn't get the blood work done so still no idea if I have HIV or not. 

I actually stopped worrying about HIV over the summer but that was because my mum started suffering from terrible abdominal pain and I convinced myself she was dying from bowel or liver cancer. It turns out she had gall stones and we were told that was the most likely cause at the beginning of the summer. Even still I spent June to the beginning of September planning my mum's funeral and thinking about how I was going to raise my younger brother. It is all consuming and terrifying. 

After my mum was cleared I had 5 days of absolute bliss. Not a single anxious thought, no diarrhea, no raised heart beat. And then I woke up one day and was convinced I had gum disease and my hair was falling out. 

I cant get to the doctors until after Christmas now which is when I will finally get tested for HIV. I'm hoping, Universe willing its a negative result, that will end my anxiety issues. 

I made the dumbest decision of my life that night and it has truly wiped me of joy, peace and calmness. 

Is it possible to be this triggered from just one situation? 

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

One night stands are nothing to be ashamed of, its nature.  Society has made it into something terrible, but we wouldnt be here if people did not have sex - so get checked for hiv, and also a thorough health check, if all is well, breath a big sigh of relief and get on with your life.  Just remember and this is important - ALL THE WORRYING IN THE WORLD WILL NOT CURE ANYTHING.   Dont obs
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Dont obsess anymore.about the one night stand.  Nature and our genes are very clever, they sabotage our brains to let inhibitions go and desire come in so that the human race can continue.  If our genes did not do that the human race would die out.   You have done nothing wrong. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thankyou very much. After Christmas I'm going to the doctors as soon as I can and I will probably seek a couple hours of therapy just to really help me conclude this awful time. 

Cant tell you how much I appreciate you replying. 

Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up