Health anxiety has taken over me!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been suffering from anxiety an depression for a few months now an it is really out of control. The bad thing is that I have 2 little children an it's so hard to try to not show them mommy is scared.

I have been having what I think is left leg weakness but I don't think it's true weakness because I have some cramping an odd sensation in leg an foot. It has literally been there everyday for about 7 weeks somedays worse than others. So I convience myself I have ALS.

Doctors says no they did start me on steroids seeing if that would help with the sensation. Half way through an no luck so far so I'm really in freak out mode.

Can anxiety cause this this long an does anyone know if steroids work for everything.

Any suggestion or help I'm really strugglin.

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

You and I are both the same. I have horrible health anxiety and I'm convinced I have breast cancer. Been to the doctor twice for a Brest exam and they assure me that I'm okay because they felt no lumps. They scheduled me for an ultrasound to ease my mind but I have to wait 3 weeks for that!! It's killing me. I also had left leg pain and it felt like a bad cramp on my calf. It soon radiated to the top of my foot and this has been going on since December of last year. Hurts the most in the morning. So it could be an anxiety thing, because for me it doesn't hurt, only when I start panicking. Hope you get better!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Anxxiety with any health problem makes things exceedingly complicated. Have you heard of phantom pain? I hate the name really because it makes it sound like the pain isn't real... when it is. It is just the thing causing the pain (for example an amputated leg) isn't real. But the sensation of pain is definitely there, it can be seen in an MRI so isn't just 'in someones head'. What may have happened is that this started as a real symptom, and your anxiety is 'keeping it there'.  So if you are asking if anxiety could potentially be the cause of your ongoing problem, the answer is yes.

But they are unusual symptoms, and your doctor is doing the right thing my treating them. I presume Dr Google first pointed you in the direction of ALS? If you have anxiety, particularly around medical issues, the single biggest thing you can do to help yourself is NEVER EVER EVER GOOGLE YOUR SYMPTOMS!!!! Please remember that ALS is very rare, and it is extremely unlikely that's what you have got. I would sugget going back to your GP once you have finished this course of treatment if you are having the same symptoms. They will then go keep going through possible causes until they have found the answer or ruled them all out. If it gets to the stage where everything is ruled out, they will then look at the mental side of things. There is one particularly good tablet that may be suitable for you called pregabalin. It can be used to treat anxiety AND pain, so may help with both sides of the issues. But this is something you can discuss with your doctor as and when the time comes.

I hope you feel better soon my dear. Please try not to worry too much. I know that is hard but work on some distraction techniques. Everything from having a bath to watching a film to going for a work to knitting or crochet or sewing can all be huge helps with anxiety. Personally when my anxiety plays up I make cushions, which I then either give to my daughter or sell on for the money to buy new materials. Anything that keeps your mind busy is idea when you are anxious. Best of luck! xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeah trust me I can understand that!! Unfortunately it is hard to choose the best treatment options when you don't know what's wrong, so Doctor's just have to do the best they can. It is still early day for the steroids though so give them a bit more time to work and fingers crossed it will all clear up. xx

Feel free to message me any time you want more support.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

amybober just wait for the ultrasound. It is painless and quickly done and they tell you as they go as a rule if they are seeing something. Its a pleasant enough experience so stop going on about it and worrying yourself to death. Wait until you have had that and then the doctor will have more to go on. It might just be sciatica and pack up as quickly as it came.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up