health anxiety is ruining me

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. Im 14 and I've been suffering with health anxiety for a few years.

My health anxiety comes and goes but right now, its the strongest its ever been.

My main fears are skin cancer, leukemia and appendicitis.

Rn im focused on leukemia.

Im so scared of dying. 

I have no motivation to do anything bc i think im dying. I want to workout but whats the point if Im going to die?

My family calls me crazy and they all think im doing it for attention.

Nobody understands me. I just want to be happy.

What should I do? Please help me. I'm dying inside. I have panic attacks a lot and I sometimes cry randomly.

(I dont think therapy is an option cause i dont think my parents are willing to take me. They dont see my problem as valid) 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ana is there another adult u can speak to like an aunt or someone a teacher maybe. My anxiety started when i was about 18 and didn't no who to speak to. I just thought this is me deal with it. I wish now i had spoken and said what was wrong . These days mental health in children and teens is more recognised. It's horrible worrying about ur health cos the more u worry the more symptoms appear. Hope u get help

• Posted

In my culture, mental health really isn't talked about a lot. If I tell my teachers or family, they're just gonna think I'm being silly and immature.

I guess I'm going to wait till I'm 18 so I can see a professional on anxiety.

I just hope these 4 years arent too hard.

I really hope your anxiety has gotten better. All the best?🏼

• Posted

Hi ana I know a lot of people don't understand ànxiety disorders as they are not rational fears however you need help to get your anxiety under control.Perhaps you could get your mum to take you to the doctor and tell the doctor how you feel and the doctor maybe could explain to her what you are suffering and the treatment you need.They probably just think you are being a drama queen and hearing it from a doctor would make them realise you are suffering.

• Posted

Hi there, don't feel your going through this alone, plenty folk on this forum going through health anxiety  but it is a pity your family don't take it seriously.

I also think a trip to the dr with a parent would help as you do need help from a professional.

Health anxiety is very hard on the sufferer so I feel for you, it's very difficult to feel reassured with just words but I can say your definitely not going to die other than in old age.

Your currently focused on leukaemia so I wonder what " evidence" or symptoms your having that can't be attributed to something more benign, I know that if you have an ounce of doubt your mind will latch onto it.

Health anxiety is an illness which over time can be treated successfully so the sooner you go to your GP the better, my suggestion is to explain to your GP that you are anxious about your health and what your currently focusing on, it is all an anxiety disorder petal and your GP will know what to do.

In the mean time get back to working out and keep yourself fit as there is always going to be a tomorrow for you.

Finally if a parent won't take you to the GP ask a family member who might, or an adult family friend, if all else fails I'm sure you could manage to go yourself, stay away from google it won't help as it will always pop up worse case scenario and that's not good for you.

Come on you can do this abd beat health anxiety! 

We are here for you!!!! Neil 

• Posted

Hi! Thank you so much for replying.

I feared I had leukemia because i have frequent nose bleeds and a couple of days ago there were a few red spots on my hand. (my mom says that my dad's side of family had a lot of nosebleeds but honestly i dont believe her). The thing is, the spots in my hand are almost gone but one of them is there and its changed color. I was reassured as first then my mind convinced me that it's skin cancer. 

I really dont think there is a way to beat health anxiety if I'm not taken seriously. I'm just going to wait it out until I'm 18.

All the best smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.