Health anxiety, need advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok so I have this problem, about six months ago I had sex with this girl I've known her for a long while now and was comfortable and every thing with her. Well a few days later I had this red spot on my penis. Of course I freaked out and went to the clinic right away because it was a heavy burden on my mind. The doc looked at it and said it was probably nothing just a normal occurrence. I got tested and everything came back negative which was a relief.

Now fast forward about a month and a half. I wake up one day and it burns when I pee and I have discharge coming out of my penis (take note that I haven't had sex since the first incident). Again I'm very anxious so I go to the clinic. I get retested and put on antibiotics for a urinary tract infection. A week later my results came back and all negative. A big load off of my shoulders.

Now fast forward about two weeks, I'm at work using the restroom and for some reason inspecting my penis and I go into panic mode. I see these little bumps and my penis is dry. So i jump on my phone and start researching the problem I am having. This was a bad mistake on my part. I go into an even greater panic and some how made myself believe that I have contracted something. Again to the clinic I go the doc looks and says just irritation, But deep down inside I don't really believe him as I walk out the door.

From that point on I am constantly thinking and worried about my penis. I start making it a habit to inspect myself every time I use the restroom. Also I am on my phone researching things which I was diagnosing myself with. Well to get the point I have been to the same doc three more times and each time he tells me nothing's wrong, and introduced me with the fact that I may have an anxiety disorder. Can anyone help me with ways I can get this off of my mind. It's been affecting me, my performance at work, my will to be active, and just my thoughts in general seem so dark compared to last year at this time. It's like my anxiety won't except that it's an anxiety problem. Thanks for reading....

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Michael,

I suggest that you go to a different doctor and get another opinion.  Not to worry you, but he may actually have another opinion about what's going on.  And if he has the same opinion that nothing is wrong, it will put your mind at ease.  Sometimes my anxiety spirals out of control until I get an answer that I truly believe.   If you need a third opinion, go ahead.  Do what it takes to ease your mind.  Best of luck to you!  

• Posted

Thank you Elisabeth, I'll look into getting another appointment.. Just feel like I am going crazy, you know how it is !
    • Posted

Best of luck to you, Michael.  You need peace of mind and a BELIEF that the diagnosis--or hopefully lack thereof--is RIGHT will take it off your mind and your anxiety should be gone.  If you need a third opinion, get it.  Anxiety is torture.  And you sure don't want it to turn into panic attacks.  By the way, there are some studies that find that people with high anxiety, panic attacks and obsessive thoughts are high in histamine.  I'm dealing with this problem right now.  You just might want to check out histamine intolerance.  Sometimes it helps to eat foods low in histamine since histamine revs up the system of fight or flight and gets your adrenaline going leading to high anxiety.  Best wishes to you.  Of course, I'm not a doctor here to give you advice--just letting you know what I've found out with the situation I'm dealing with.
    • Posted

One more thing.  You may not want to tell the new doctor that you already had it looked at and received a clean bill of health.  In my experience, doctors sometimes lean toward previous diagnoses and what you need is a fresh perspective with no biases.
    • Posted

I agree, don't tell the new Dr. you've seen another Dr. Just act like he's the 1st Dr. you've seen.I also agree that if you feel the need, see a 3rd Dr.
  • Posted

The symptoms you speak of are so general they could be 1000 different things, so I can see how you'd scare the heck out of yourself doing research with just those symptoms. I'd suggest that you do see at least 1 more Dr., in not 2 other Dr.s if you feel it would put your concerns to rest, but at the same time, remember this,some women will think they are pregnant and will have all the symptoms, because they want to be pregnant. If your results come back negative 2 or 3 times, maybe it would help you to see a hypnotherapist and get to the root of what is going on ASAP. A hypnotherapist can do this relatively fast (within a month or 2), where as regular therapy can take several months if not years to get to the root of your concern.Just a thought, but it may be helpful to get to the root of things before they turn into a panic reaction to what you think is wrong. Personally I think you'd feel psychologically better if you do see at least 1 other Dr., if not 2. Also be aware that you could have such a sensitive system that the Dr.s test are not picking up what you may have, so be sure to ask the Dr. if there is any possibility that the tests are not sensitive enough to pick up what you are being tested for. Also be sure to ask exactly what you are being tested for. If those test results come back negative and if you still have the same problem, you might want to see a hypnotherapist.If nothing else they can teach you self hypnosis. I learned it 28 years ago and I still use it. It's been very helpful for me for pain control.Good Luck. Also, if by some chance the problem continues on, then you need to keep reading until you can harrow it down further and see what you can do to help yourself. I'm not sure if my next idea will work for you or not, but it's work checking out....baking soda and water.It cures a very huge number of things. There are a number of highly regarded researchers and Dr.s who believe baking soda and water will attack and kill cancer cells.  
    • Posted

I will defiantly take all this into consideration thank you Dana. There are many things I never really thought of ill just have to figure out what works to rid me of this 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.