Health anxiety or something else?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Philly89

I'm 28 yr old female, I post on here a lot. I've had health anxiety for a while now and lots and lots of physical symptoms by now. But I'm not sure if this stuff below is anxiety or something actually wrong?

• I've been experiencing dull stomach pain/cramps for a few months now. I finally went to my gastro and I have an ultrasound and endoscopy scheduled in a few weeks... but curious to hear if anyone has any thoughts on what I might have.
  • It comes and goes, gets worse after fatty or acidic meals. Feels like a generalized dull cramping all over my stomach but mainly on my sides. It kind of travels to my back on the sides as well. It makes me worried that maybe this isn't even stomach related and something is wrong with my kidneys bc it's kind of in that area also?
  • No other symptoms really... no heartburn stuff. I wonder if it's anxiety bc of how it comes and goes. Like when I am distracted it sometimes goes away, and that's usually a classic sign of anxiety lol.
  • Any ideas on what this could be? Is it just anxiety or could it be kidneys or stomach problem? =/

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

IBS , ??? often made worse by worrying !!!

Report Reply
    • Posted

That's what I'm wondering too. I google gastritis and ulcers and such and everyone with those have much more severe symptoms than I do. My symptoms are so mild, but they've lingered for months now so it's getting annoying. I feel like maybe this is just IBS brought on by stress/anxiety.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Ultrasound came back, everything was normal. They checked my kidneys, gallbladder, and pancreas and didn't find anything.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Philly

Go check the anxietycentre website and it mentions these symptoms as being part of Anxiety.

In 2014, I had similar symptoms. I'd have dull or sharp aches on my upper right corner of my abdomen. It would shift from the oblique area, to next to were my esophagus is, then go to the far left, then shift back. I would press the area were the ache occurred and nothing. No pain, like nothing was there. Then, felt the right oblique area was somewhat bloated.

I was freaking out that I had pancreatic, liver or stomach cancer.

I didn't get ultrasounds done, though I was given a full blood work to check my liver and everything was fine.

The doc told me that if I noticed a change of color in my stools like if it was pale gray, then I would need to worry, but if not. It's just anxiety.

Right now I'm experiencing the same symptoms again, though due life stressors and I stopping my antidepressants in July since I was becoming aggressive towards my family members, and a plethora of symptoms have come crashing at me.

I have Excessive burping, gas, sensations when I eat or drink something, and the symptoms that I've described before. I had blood work done in July, everything came back fine. So, its anxiety though my mind says nope. Its' cancer. Anxiety on hell of a disorder.

P.S. I've been diagnosed with Anxiety, Depression, OCD, and anxiety induced IBS

Report Reply
  • Posted

Seems my response is being blocked, so I'll give you the nitty gritty. You mention it comes and goes. That's classic anxiety symptom. I'm going through something similar. I'm burping a lot, have nausea like sensation, sensitive when I eat since I feel the cool water down the pit of my stomach or shifting aches and pain around my abdomen at random times or when I eat, though when I press the area were the ache occurred...nothing. These symptoms began to occur when my antidepressant pooped on me. Now, its occurs when I'm under severe stress. I had blood work done in July, nothing. I had similar symptoms in 2014, same. Clear results.

So even our minds think its something scary, its just anxiety.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Interesting. This does sound very similar to me. I wondered the same as you, that if it comes and goes that does tend to be a classic sign that it's just anxiety lol. And I know anxiety can cause so many diff physical symptoms, but I wasn't sure if this was one of them bc I hear people saying anxiety gives them nausea or diarrhea, but I haven't seen much about the stomach cramps type symptom. But I guess I will see that happens with the ultrasound and endoscopy. If those both came back clear then it must be anxiety related.

Report Reply
    • Philly89

Posted

Ultrasound came back, everything was normal. They checked my kidneys, gallbladder, and pancreas and didn't find anything.

Report Reply
  • Posted

I get similar issues, which so far they've put down to IBS, triggered or worsened by anxiety or stress. I tend to get a knawing pain around my lower left abdomen, and sometimes i feel like my legs start to ache. I also get the feeling of fullness and intermittent throbbing type pains in my kidney area, which i largely put down to not drinking enough water.

I also suffer proctalgia fugax which can sometimes be intermittent, sharp and gone in minutes to constant for a whole day on and off, causing stomach cramps and pain. Again, no idea why so far other than anxiety seems not to help matters.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Yes I keep getting pains around my back and kindey area the last couple days! I can't tell if it's just muscle tension from anxiety or something else. It seems weird that muscle tension would be so isolated and be like directly where my kidneys are only... But then nothing with anxiety symptoms shocks me anymore lol. I had an ultrasound done Saturday, I'm waiting for the results. They checked my kidneys during that I believe, so we'll see what they say.

Report Reply
    • Philly89

Posted

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New Discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.