Health anxiety ruining my life

Posted , 3 users are following.

i started off with depression

then i lost my mum suddenly to a heart attack ive had bladder problems for six years suffering with uti symptoms .. ive been refered to different doctors to try find out and help the issue i used to be ok with these tests infact i was always curious to see what it could be but NOW i sit and dwell on any upcoming appoitments .. the letters make me feel sick with fear..! im in constant fear of my phone ringing with bad news i had a kidney scan and i told the lady doing the scan that i have extreme anxiety so could she please talk me through it and she did she told me all was normal both kidneys and bladder and i got her to tell me again and she did i was relieved until i got to the car now im in turmoil wondering if she was lying or made a mistake a few years ago i would have been satisfied with what she said but now its taken over my thoughts i have a very unempathatic boyfriend which makes my anxiety WORSE i have an abdomen scan coming up and fear is going to prevent me from going i cannot be strong anymore im so broken

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

you must go to your appointment or your health anxiety will play up even more as you will think i should of gone they might of found something , now il have to wait for another scan and your mind will play up on having to wait for it again. its a viscous cycle i know all to well. trust me its better to go and get it over with. my wife used to be very unempathetic untill she researched the health anxiety condition, but my family still remain unempathectic towards me. its better to distant yourself from people who are hostile towards your health anxiety as it will just make it worse. when your next test comes back normal its time address this health anxiety with your g.p and get some help. you dont have to live like this and there is light at end of the tunnel for all of us .

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear about everything. I too had health anxiety over my daughter and myself..it was ruining my life. I would have panic attacks before I went to bed terrified if my daughter would be ill in the night. Also if I had pains I would assume it was some acute emergency coming on (it was often nothing but anxiety causing a panic about indigestion or similar). I hope I can offer advice. Something really helped me when I was brave enough to go to my GP and burst into tears about my anxiety about health. That help can from a NHS counsellor who did cognitive behavioural therapy with me for 6 sessions. It helps stop you spiralling into a panic but retraining your mind to combat the anxious thoughts. It can be hard. I was taught to understand that my anxious thoughts weren't necessary as the situations I imagined to be going to happen didn't happen. Interestingly, when I moaned about my husband being unsympathetic to my health anxiety, they showed me that this was actually the best way as he wasn't feeding my negative anxieties. When I had panic attacks I would be terrified and cry, unable to deal with illness, my breathing was affected. Now although it hasn't completely gone it is so so much better and I can deal with things. I really hope you can get some support, it is so hard having health anxiety and other people sometimes don't appreciate the extent of the fear. I wish you all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.