Health anxiety- someone please help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

I suffer with GAD but mainly health anxiety. Been on Citalopram for couple years, recently went back down to 10mg as 20 always makes my anxiety go sky high.

Had a headache and hot flashes for last few days and that awful depersonalisation feeling that I remember having when I first started taking it. I just don't feel myself at all. Why am I getting this now so long after being on my medication ?

Really worried

X

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It can often be the case that while meds may help control some symptoms, they cant be relied upon to provide a full resolution.  No need to worry, just ask a dr to review the medication or maybe add in some therapy to compliment them.  Ive been on citalopram in the past, they didnt agree with me at all - but i know others who swear by them.  Sadly meds isnt always the only part in dealing with anxiety, sometimes it takes a little more
  • Posted

Maybe your body is adjusting to the medication and you might need a bigger dose. Just a thought
    • Posted

just adding more and more dosage to a problem is quite often not the best idea.  always best to review with a dr
    • Posted

I haven't been on Citalopram for years, just getting ready for my 8th week. I was on 10mg for 5 weeks and it was very up and down - feeling better in some ways but anxiety increased so I am using Ativan as well as therapy and distracting works the best with me.

3 weeks ago I went up to 20mg and it took a week or so but it has been like a cloud has lifted - I had the strength and emotional stability to fight off a pretty bad anxiety attack while driving my car.

I am new to all of this but I do know exercise, distraction, therapy and my meds have helped me get my life back. I am far from beyond all of it, I have moments of panic, chest tightening and hot flushing through my body, but I am facing iy directly.

I am saying all this to say that it takes more than one thing of med to conquer anxiety.

• Posted

Hi Diane I on 10 mg citalapram for 6 weeks I was really scared to take them incase had allergic reaction or this heart thing that was told about with citalapram and I worry about my heart all the time anyway but I am feeling a bit better not getting bad thoughts do you think I would need bigger dose as I would make myself very anxious taking it / I on diazapam 2mg twice a day I am going to groups getting out every day as wel walking / jogging do you think they take longer to work than 6 weeks they do make me feel tired / I have been of work now 2half month got meeting next week but 2 be honest don't think can face going back to work as I want to get better what do you think how are the citalapram with you love xx

• Posted

There are so many different meds out there. Tell you doc that this one is not working,and tell him how you feel on it. Make the call.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.