Health Anxiety Terrible!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, well where to start. Ive been a long time anxiety/depression sufferer, with OCD and health anx when things get really bad! Lately the household has a new puppy - i thought it would do me a lot of good. However with the added worry and responsibility, i feel that all my symptoms have really got worse! For example, the latest is the puppy accidentally bit my lip - nothing major at all - but of course my thoughts were - oh my god ive got rabies! Now of course my sensible side knows this isnt true, but jeez i cant get it out of my head! It then brings on serious hot flashes that seem to last a long time - and i just feel like its all going to end! Any advice would be appreciated?!?

thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

I know when my anxiety levels go up my phobias seem to come out of the woodwork too. I suppose all we can do is to be rational with our thinking, there is absolutely no way the puppy will have rabies or will have passed it on to you, it just couldn't happen. from experience my anxiety levels subside the longer I am exposed to something im not happy with, initially they are very acute and then get less, the more im exposed to whatever it is. I think your anxiety with the puppy will pass, once you get used to it being around.

It is very unpleasant but hang in there it will pass, I bet it always has before.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

thanks lesley, thats really helpful - and what you makes a lot of sense. im just very frightened, i know its irrational - the heat that i get in my body when im like this is doing nothing to soothe me lol
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

and yes these things do always pass - or at least, reduce to a manageable less terrifying level - fingers crossed!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I know but its difficult at the time to get things under control, iv been in major panic mode all day, starting to subside now tho, at last
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Glad to hear that, long may it last! I seem to go between yeah im ok, the flashes of oh my god im not ok after all, so powerfully terrifying
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hot, burning flushes......especially in the night when they wake you....horrible! Pins & needles, and tingling also........just awful......medication helps somewhat, but I am trying to learn to control some of the panic. Not easy! Good luck, everyone.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

im petrified of meds Lady - i am sure they would really help me a lot, but im just too scared to take them - been trying to get past it for years :-(
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

its so hard to take meds when taking one is gonna give you a panic attack, Iv had many prescriptions for my anxiety but I just cant bring myself to take them, its nice to know someone else understands

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi everyone

I too was terrified of any medication for any medical problems.....but with regard to anxiety, my lovely doctor told me I needed help from them as otherwise I would not improve. I have been taking Fluoxetine for a very long time....probably now forever. It has helped with muscle tension and made me more relaxed. Maybe not a cure, but at least some relief from some of the symptoms. Hope this gives you a bit of encouragement. Good Luck!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up