Health anxiety whilst having tests

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been health anxous for decades. I am now 50. I don't have a particularly sympathetic GP. Just recently I have noticed some breast changes and have made an appointment to see a female GP in my practice next week. This is incredibly difficult for me to do, as I tend to be very avoidant. When I realised how avoidant I was ten years ago I made a deal with myself that I wouldn't google symptoms, but I would attend the GP with any symptoms I had. I have forced myself to do that since then. But I suffer with terrible, crippling anxiety whilst waiting for tests, so much so it makes me physically unwell. Breast cancer is everwhere; on TV, on the internet, in people I know. Charities appear hysterical about it. Any advice on how to manage this terrible anxiety that has siezed me whilst I go through this assessment? Should I tell this new GP? Please help, any advice is welcome.

0 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

You MUST see your new GP, for your own peace of mind. Remember that most breast symptoms are benign. If it helps you to know this, I had both breasts removed to cancer 8 years ago......I'm fine now. Good luck

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Do tell your new GP everything. Oh, and my sister has had breast cancer twice and had one removed and loads of treatment and she's fine now.  Let us know how you get on, please, Jayney.        xx Tess

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

What symptoms are u having
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Good question - JAYNEY - my daughter suffered for many years with avoidant social disorder (she has now recovered) but the only person she would go to was her GP, with whom she built up a good relationship.

She, too, used to go into panic mode when an appointment was coming up - I mean, really freaking out with anxiety at the social contact involved.

Now everyone's waiting for the great answer - how did she overcome this?

Her brother arranged for her to work a couple of shifts where he was working - and made sure he was there every time she was.

After a fortnight she was promoted and is now planning an exciting future.

Simple as that......but it took fifteenn years out of her life.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sounds like you need a new GP. Hope you like your new one. Absolutely tell her about your anxiety. Are you on a daily antidepressant. You should be. Hope your worry over your breast is nothing. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,I totally understand. Here in the states usually if something is wrong with a test result you get a phone call. Waiting for results makes me sick also. This I s how crazy I het,I take my phone off the hook or turn my answering machine off which makes no sense at all. Test results can sometimes take awhile and if they come back late Im in a panic. Also if i am expecting a result through the mail I get physically ill waiting for the mailman every day. Anxiety is cruel. Chances are your tests will be fine. Sometimes i think the waiting is the worst part. When your going through this remember you arent alone,think of how wierd I act lol. Keep us posted and good luck. Xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Oh and tell the doctor how stressed you get then they wont make you wait forever for results. Xx
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up